Windows 7 System rebuild!

jarsc

Hey all,
I have just had to purchase a new system as my old trusted system capitulated, well certain parts of it did! Obviously spending hard earned cash on replacing broken components on an already dated set-up would have been foolish to say the least, so I have therefore purchased a completely new set up.
Now, my question is. I was running Windows 7 Home Premium, which I had upgraded from Windows Xp Home edition. They are both retail products ie: not OEM and I have both the discs and both of the product keys, does this mean I can install them onto my new system without any problems regarding activation?

Thank you for your kind replies in advance

Jarsc

Should be no problem. You might be required to confirm that the installation is on one system only.

If you do just install an upgrade version of Windows 7 and it can be re-activated without XP, would you let us know. That has been a question I have been wondering about. Maybe Drew has personal experience.

Allow me to clarify...

One can change the OS in their computer from XP to Windows 7 and (may) call it or refer to it as 'upgrade' BUT, unlike going from Vista to Windows 7 which, can be done as an actual "Upgrade (path) Install", XP cannot be done that way; there is, in fact, no upgrade path, per se, from XP to 7. Ergo, in this person's scenario, since a clean, fresh, "Custom Install" is required, anyway, there is no point to installing XP (again, 1st) only to have it wiped out/off when moving to 7. When XP is on a machine already, sure but, now, putting XP back in 1st serves no purpose. Just put 7 in @ the onset, using its Key & if necessary, when Activating, phone in, explain & maybe will be necessary to give MS the (old) XP Key, as well.

I trust this makes more sense out of what I had said, initially.

Cheers,
Drew

Back