Windows 7 System restarts unexpectedly during certain games, reading as a HDD error.

Anthony Cavalieri

Hello,

My computer has been restarting unexpectedly while playing certain games, but never does so during normal usage. Windows keep reading it as a HDD error, but I'm not too convinced it is. I've included the dump file from the most recent crash, so can someone tell me if I need to get a new HDD, or if it's something different?
Thanks,
Anthony.

Attachments

• BSOD dumpfile.zip
    11.7 KB · Views: 205
I've had this issue in the past, playing a game and after a few minutes, the PC randomly reboots. Usually no BSOD even. Though it could be a Hard Drive problem (I didn't look at your dump file) it is more likely a Graphics card problem. You didn't give specs so I can't be too sure on that but in my situation, I was running Nvidia cards in SLI and it turned out to be one of the two cards overheating. I RMA'd the cards and the problem went away.

Diagnosing bad graphics cards can be tough because they have a processing unit and RAM on them, they also have heat dispersion systems built into most higher end cards so when the problem is actually with a graphics card, the OS may still tell you the issue is somewhere else, I'd start diagnosing in the following way.

If you've not already done so, under system properties/advanced tab/startup and recovery, clear the automatic restart check so that windows hangs at a blue screen the next time it crashes. What you need to do then is check to see if the error code; 0x00000000, is the same or different every time the PC crashes. To restart the PC, simply press and hold your power button until the PC shuts off then press your power button again to boot back into windows.

If the error code is the same every time it crashes, search that code using your favorite search engine to see what others have done to correct that particular problem, if the error is different ever time then I'd be comfortable in stating you have a RAM issue.

If you still think it's a drive problem, chkdsk without switches may reveal the problem, if problems are found then use chkdsk with the appropriate switches to repair the problem; search for those switches using your favorite search engine or just use microsoft's site and search how to use chkdsk.

If you have more Hard Drives kicking around, you can try a clean install of the OS, reinstall your problem game(s) and play them to see if the problem goes away, if not then you'll need to pull your graphics card(s) and swap with new or different card(s) to see if that solves it.

Please, don't be a goof and forget about your post here when you finally resolve or simply give up on the problem, your initial post combined with the replies from others could help somebody else solve their problem in the future. Remember to follow this post all the way to its end, right up to where you finally say; "hey I got it fixed and this is how" or "I surrender, this will never be fixed"!

That sounds exactly like what's happening to me! I'll make sure to check my card out, I'm running a GTX 760 with ACX cooling on it, so it seems suspicious. Thank you, and I'll check the various solutions out and see if I can solve it!

Last edited:
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa80079de8f8, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
apologies I missed your post but have since moved it to the correct section. Bugcheck 124 is a hardware error although causes can include overheating, low power (not enough juice from the PSU), out of date Bios as well as some system software:

Check the RAM on your card by running this app:
http://mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?page=PROGRAMS/vmt_en

Monitor the temperatures of both CPU and GPU using this app:
http://www.hwinfo.com/

Check your HDD by running a chkdsk:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/

Apply any updates that may be pending including Bios and GPU driver.

Pos any new dump files.

Back
Top Bottom