Windows 7 System Restore Problem

lpollane

I amrunning Win7 Ultimate. When I try to do a Systm Restore, it seems to run to completion, reboots the system and then issues the following message:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

System Restore could not access a file. This is probably because an anti-virus program is running on the computer. Temporarily disable your antivirus program and retry System Restore.
An unspecified error occurred during System Restore: (0X80070005)"

When I disable my Norton antiVirus program and retry, the same thing happens.

I would appreciate any advice as to where I should start looking for a solution to this problem.

Thanks.

Found a solution. As I thought, it was that pesky anti-virus software hiding something, and thinking it always knows best... grr.
Despite turning off everything in the initial norton menu you must also click "Settings" and then click "Miscellaneous Settings" then under product security, you have to turn off "Norton Product Tamper Protection." I was then able to do a successful system restore without having to completely uninstall my anti-virus software. Hope this helps.

woo my first post and i think i can help here

if you boot from your Windows 7 disc and go to repair instead of install
you will get the option to restore back to a restore point like you do in windows

let me know how you get on ;)

Solution from jrwalsh1 worked for me although directions was a bit different for Norton 360.: settings>administrative settings>under "Product Security" turn off "Norton Product Tamper protection". I also had the anti virus turned off (auto protect). Norton took awhile to get it's act back together after the restore.

Thanks jrwalsh1.

Back
Top Bottom