Windows 7 System sound and program icon problem

Joe Blow

Windows 7 Build 7077

Problem 1
I don't know when but I have started to have some system sound problems. I first noticed the problem when I launched Play 65 Backgammon and although the game works OK no sound is heard during the game. Also email sound notification of custom sounds have also stopped working. The two email notification sounds are used in Mozilla Thunderbird and Mailwasher Pro and are .wav files. When I click on these files a Windows Media Player window opens and the file can be seen playing although no sound is heard. If I open the .wav's with Quick Time Player the sounds are heard. If I point to these .wav's in New Mail Notification in Control Panel \ Sounds and click 'Test' no sound is heard. MP3's play OK in Windows Media Player

Problem 2

The icon for Mozilla Thunderbird does not appear correctly on the Quick Launch area. When the program in launched the icon appears correctly. (see below)

Before launch

icon1.JPG

After launch

icon2.JPG

Thanks for any help in either problem

Joe

Windows 7 Build 7077

Problem 1
I don't know when but I have started to have some system sound problems. I first noticed the problem when I launched Play 65 Backgammon and although the game works OK no sound is heard during the game. Also email sound notification of custom sounds have also stopped working. The two email notification sounds are used in Mozilla Thunderbird and Mailwasher Pro and are .wav files. When I click on these files a Windows Media Player window opens and the file can be seen playing although no sound is heard. If I open the .wav's with Quick Time Player the sounds are heard. If I point to these .wav's in New Mail Notification in Control Panel \ Sounds and click 'Test' no sound is heard. MP3's play OK in Windows Media Player

Problem 2

The icon for Mozilla Thunderbird does not appear correctly on the Quick Launch area. When the program in launched the icon appears correctly. (see below)

Before launch

icon1.JPG

After launch

icon2.JPG

Joe

Have you tried a roll back too see what happens it may cure the problem

Windows 7 Build 7077

Problem 1

Problem 2

Before launch

icon1.JPG

After launch

icon2.JPG

Joe

An update to Windows 7 RC 7100 has cured the icon problem but the sound problem remains, anyone:confused:

An update to Windows 7 RC 7100 has cured the icon problem but the sound problem remains, anyone:confused:

Problem 1
I don't know when but I have started to have some system sound problems. I first noticed the problem when I launched Play 65 Backgammon and although the game works OK no sound is heard during the game. Also email sound notification of custom sounds have also stopped working. The two email notification sounds are used in Mozilla Thunderbird and Mailwasher Pro and are .wav files. When I click on these files a Windows Media Player window opens and the file can be seen playing although no sound is heard. If I open the .wav's with Quick Time Player the sounds are heard. If I point to these .wav's in New Mail Notification in Control Panel \ Sounds and click 'Test' no sound is heard. MP3's play OK in Windows Media Player[\Quote]

It's obvious from your post that your sound card is configured OK with the correct drivers because you can hear sounds. So we can safely skip that part of the audio troubleshoot.

One test you have done trying to play the .wav file and its successful result
If I open the .wav's with Quick Time Player the sounds are heard
caught my special attention.

My questions are based on that evidence.

• What sound Playback device you used in the above test and what sound output or Playback device you used when you tried
    When I click on these files a Windows Media Player window opens and the file can be seen playing although no sound is heard.
    ?
  • When you open Sound dialog box [ Control Panel> (category view) > Hardware and Sound> Sound] and click Playback tab what devices are listed in the box under Sound playback device to modify settings:
I will wait for your responses.
Good luck.

Problem 1
I don't know when but I have started to have some system sound problems. I first noticed the problem when I launched Play 65 Backgammon and although the game works OK no sound is heard during the game. Also email sound notification of custom sounds have also stopped working. The two email notification sounds are used in Mozilla Thunderbird and Mailwasher Pro and are .wav files. When I click on these files a Windows Media Player window opens and the file can be seen playing although no sound is heard. If I open the .wav's with Quick Time Player the sounds are heard. If I point to these .wav's in New Mail Notification in Control Panel \ Sounds and click 'Test' no sound is heard. MP3's play OK in Windows Media Player[\Quote]

It's obvious from your post that your sound card is configured OK with the correct drivers because you can hear sounds. So we can safely skip that part of the audio troubleshoot.

One test you have done trying to play the .wav file and its successful result caught my special attention.

My questions are based on that evidence.

• What sound Playback device you used in the above test and what sound output or Playback device you used when you tried ?

• When you open Sound dialog box [ Control Panel> (category view) > Hardware and Sound> Sound] and click Playback tab what devices are listed in the box under Sound playback device to modify settings:
I will wait for your responses.
Good luck.

Hi

I have Speakers, Headphones and Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

Hi

I have Speakers, Headphones and Digital Audio (S/PDIF)

If you have not already tried, here is my suggestion:

1. If your speakers are shown there as Ready, ( or you have to configure to make them ready) under the Playback tab [See my attached image as reference to this line in my post], click the Sounds tab
  2. Scroll down to Progarms Events: section to Windows default Wav files box
  3. Click and select New Mail Notification with a megaphone icon
  4. Click Test button to play and listen thru' speakers ( or headphones if they are the default playback device ]
Does this work? To clarify my questions in earlier post:

Suppose you had set Headphones as default playback device but you did not wear it while playing the Wav file by the default program WMP, all you can see is visual display of waves but cannot hear sound because Speaker is not configured as Default and you are using Speakers to hear where as the Headphone connected to the sound card is emitting the sound but they are not applied to your ears! Is this what is happening?

Last edited:
If you have not already tried, here is my suggestion:

1. If your speakers are shown there as Ready, ( or you have to configure to make them ready) under the Playback tab [See my attached image as reference to this line in my post], click the Sounds tab
  2. Scroll down to Progarms Events: section to Windows default Wav files box
  3. Click and select New Mail Notification with a megaphone icon
  4. Click Test button to play and listen thru' speakers ( or headphones if they are the default playback device ]
Does this work? To clarify my questions in earlier post:

Suppose you had set Headphones as default playback device but you did not wear it while playing the Wav file by the default program WMP, all you can see is visual display of waves but cannot hear sound because Speaker is not configured as Default and you are using Speakers to hear where as the Headphone connected to the sound card is emitting the sound but they are not applied to your ears! I sthis what is happening?

I have set my speakers to 'quadraphonic' and now hear the sounds.

Thanks for the help:D

Max

Back