Windows 7 System Vol Info using up huge Gigs

sandyocean

Honorable Member
I checked with my software Treesize (which is so useful) and I see that I have 626 GB of my laptop just used up on System Volume Information.
I just wondered if anyone can tell me if this is normal? It seems to be taking up much of my storage capacity. I only have 904 GIGS total!
I only have 148 GIG space left after removing everything that isn’t vital – onto my external drive.

Suggestions please?

The 'system reserved' volume shouldn't be more than 500MBs in size so it couldn't exceed that. If by "system volume" you mean the C: drive then yes that can grow, but there isn't really a normal. It's going to depend on what you do and what kind of data you have. Music, movies etc. I usually run Disk Usage du.exe /accepteula -c -v -q C:\ >> %userprofile\Desktop\du.csv then sort the report and you can see what directories are taking up a lot of space

Well you can configure the storage for restore points up to many gigabytes so check your not set to something crazy.

I always set mine to 1%:
shadow.jpg

Thank you everyone. Much appreciated.

I have only 2 System Restore points, so its not that. I go in and delete them. But thanks for info of how to set it to reduce it. I will do that.

I dont have much at all in the way of movies, couple of folders of pics and little music.

Treesize is the same sort of free software - I guess it does the same job as Disk Usage. And can delete it from there, which is useful. I have used it for years. I run it as Administrator. Treesize is where I got the information from about where my gigs are being used.

My Computer says ....145 gigs free of 904 gigs.

I have printed out and scanned the significant page that shows many file with lots of gigs! ATTACHED.
I have no idea what they are!!

Attachments

• Hard Drive.jpg
    Hard Drive.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 309
Thank you for the screenshot.

According to your screenshot those are files of some sort, have you tried doing a search for one or two and seeing what they actually are?

Yay!! That was it. THANK YOU EVERYONE A MILLION TIMES OVER. It had created heaven knows how many System Restore points but when I went to a Systems Restore there was only ever a couple showing.

It wouldn't let me copy even one file in my Treesize (so I could check what it was) and computer wouldn't let me access the Systems Vol inf. (Even though I went into Computer and ticked show hidden folders). But with all the good tips here - I followed this -
What Is the “System Volume Information” Folder, and Can I Delete It?

And have deleted it via the Systems Restore box, as you guys suggested. I set it at one percent. Bingo. I have all my laptop space back. So grateful to you all for your time and trouble.

Back