Windows 8 System volume does not contain the required free space

stueycaster

Millennium Celebration Award Winner
Premium Supporter
when I try to install the new beta I get this Error Message. "Setup was unable to use the existing partition because the system volume does not contain the required free space". The System reserved drive shows 14.7 mb free of 100 mb. That does seem pretty full doesn't it? How could I clear some of that out so I would have enough? It has a file named bdrescue.gz with 36 mb of data in zip format (I take it). I use Winrar for all of my zip file needs so it calls it a winrar archive. I think they are put there by BitDefender. Could I just delete them? Or do I need to uninstall ButDefender?

I've been trying to google this but I haven't had any luck.

Forget it. I should check with BitDefender instead. Thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want to install on the System partition? Why not the OS partition, or another one on the drive?

Stu,

Please send me a screen shot of Disc Management & I'll tell you what to do. I just need to see what drives/partitions you have & will be able to advise you how to go.

Cheers,
Drew

Drew's suggestion is the best way to start. In any case, you will never squeeze Windows 8 (or 7) on to 100mbs of space. But is that the partition to which you are really trying to install?

That 100mb is the wee partition Windows creates when it installs... it cannot/should not be touched.

For the OS to be happy (Win8 x64) would recommend 50Gb, @ the very, very least.

Obviously in dual-boot, each OS must be on its own drive or partition; ideally, physically separate HDDs or SSDs.

It's not that it wants to install the O/s there. It just wants to put some boot info or something there. I got it to work by uninstalling BitDefender. After the reboot all of the files that it had put in there were gone and I was able to install Windows 8 in the partition that I had set up for it. Thanks for the help offers. I'm all set now.

Bit Defender is said to have some of the best detection rates out there but I think it's a bit too much of a pita. I guess I threw away my money on it. I really don't like it.

Ok, cool, Stu. Sorry bout BitDefender. Personally, I'd not recommend it. W/ Win8, you can just use the built-in security, it's excellent, free, permanent & fully automated; and does viri & malware.

Cheers,
Drew

Ok, cool, Stu. Sorry bout BitDefender. Personally, I'd not recommend it. W/ Win8, you can just use the built-in security, it's excellent, free, permanent & fully automated; and does viri & malware.

Cheers,
Drew

I guess I'm going back to ESET. I have to use it on my other O/s and my wife's. I'll probably check into the native A/v. I'd have to buy Win8 for 2 computers though. I still like Win7 and don't see a compelling reason to upgrade yet. I still have a lot to learn about Win8 so I'll be in here much more often now. Cya later.

There are, certainly, lots of cool, impressive things about & in Windows8 (over previous Windows) but, still, certainly, nothing suggests any obligation to move to it, just because it happens to be available. It or that doesn't suddenly make other OSs 'bad'. Some will get it just cus it's funky & new, some just cus of if & when it happens to be new computer time, for whatever reasons. Definitely, can't blame you or anyone for liking Windows7. But, same as new model year cars which, keep coming w/ regularity & that are always, of course, 'new & improved'... some like 1 or another, some don't or won't, some see reasons to change, some will stay w/ what they have (for a while longer)... it's subjective & one has choices & is free to make their own.

Some, like me, who are in IT, will get into it out of pure 'interest' and because we have to learn & know it for client support.

Anyway, look forward to you throwing whatever comments or questions in here... will always try to make the replies, just as good.

Cheers,
Drew

PS: Nice to see you, again, my friend. Say Hi to your wife, from me, too.

Back