Windows Vista System Volume Information - Hard drive full of files

NeilP

Hey folks. I've tried to find a solution to this problem elsewhere but have still found no satisfactory solution. My C drive is 500 Gb, of which 457 are available to use. The folders I have on the C drive total less than 200 Gb, but the drive shows only 40.4 Gb free. When using Tree Size it shows that I have 220 Gb of System Volume Information that I can't delete or move in any normal way. I've tried running disk cleanup but it doesn't register these files. I have been told it's due to System Restore information, but there is clearly much too much of it, if that's the case. This must be a common problem, surely. Does anyone recognise it, understand it and know how to sort It?

First go to Control Panel, File and Folder options, View, Select the option to show hidden files, Deselect all options to hide various files and folders. Then look to see what shows up in explorer. Also try running Ccleaner free clean up utility to get rid of any junk files.

First go to Control Panel, File and Folder options, View, Select the option to show hidden files, Deselect all options to hide various files and folders. Then look to see what shows up in explorer. Also try running Ccleaner free clean up utility to get rid of any junk files.
Thanks for the reply. Folder setup is already set to show hidden files. CCleaner doesn't find this 220GB of file allocation.

Go to control panel, system, system protection. Check the amount of space allocated on each drive for system restore.
Thanks. When I follow that route in Vista I don't see anywhere where that information is displayed.

I've now deleted all but my most recent System Restore point and System Volume Information is now down to 3.5Gb. This is clearly my problem. I thought System Restore was limited to 15% of the drive. Mine had used well over 50%. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom