Windows 7 Sytem Repair Pending which requires reboot to complete not repairing?

Timster12

I just tried sfc/scannow and I got the following message:

There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart windows and try sfc again.

I'm thinking this repair pending is from the chldsk/r I completed previously. This is great, except when I reboot, the repair does not startup and the system just goes back to the Windows Error Recovery screen I had earlier. How do I get the repair to complete?

Is there any way for you to stop booting up into the Windows Error Recovery environment? Ultimately, you want to get to CBS.log in the Windows system directory to find out what happened with sfc /scannow

I would try booting to the Windows 7 Install DVD and use the repair option then the Command Prompt. You could try running the SFC from offline to see if it will help.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Thanks saltgrass, I got sfc to run except it comes back with "did not find any integrity violations". That's a problem because I cannot bootup windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron M5030. The computer boots into the Windows Error Recovery screen and then after it does the Startup repair it tells me that Startup Repair could not repair this computer automatically. I've tried system restore, Dell datasafe restore and a couple other scans from the comand prompt. Nothing! Any suggestions? Thanks!

It may take a Startup Repair several tries to fix certain problems on your system.

But some folks have taken drastic action to get out of the repair loop. I would not suggest doing some of them, but there may be some commands you could try if you can get into a Command Prompt window, such as bcdboot and bootrec, which must be run from the Recovery Environment.

bcdboot C:\Windows

bootrec /FixMBR

bootrec /FixBoot

You might try taking the battery out and running without it, or take it out and leave it overnight.

Have you, or Windows Update installed any device drivers recently?

And make sure none of the normal F keys. like F8, which may need to be actively tapped during boot. If you could get into Safe Mode, you might be able to work things out.

Saltgrass, It worked!!! I think it was bcdboot that did the trick. Can't thank you enough. It's been almost 2 weeks since I had this machine up and running. Thanks again!

Timster12

Glad you got it working. Those repair loop situations are frustrating, because you don't normally know what even caused it. I will put your experience in my archives...

Saltgrass i cant thank you enough just made an accout just to thank you, thank you so much. after a whole day of trying this comment works. thanks again

Back