Windows 8 Take that Google Chrome!!!!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I've always been a big Chrome supporter but the last year has really driven me up the wall.
Now it loads 10 copies of my Comcast Home Page every time I open it.

I removed it, and all the registry entries and then downloaded and install an older version.

It worked great, just like it used to.

Until it updated itself without asking me.

Then it started the whole 10 copies of my home page thing again.

I finally gave up and downloaded Firefox.

So far it seems to be working great, it imported all my favorites and opens my Home Page, (something that Internet Explorer won't do).

So for now I'm going to stick with Firefox, if Chrome gets it's act together I may go back but why won't they just let me run a version that works without forcing me to update.

I looked for a way to stop it, and turned off Google update in start up but it still did it anyway.

I posted on their forum but haven't gotten any response, but there sure are a lot of people posting problems.

I used Firefox for years until I was lured away by Chrome, not I'm back again.

Mike

You sure you haven't got a bug Mike? Chrome seems fine to me..

I agree. Something very wrong there, Mike. I have never had a problem selecting my default homepage in IE.

Hi Guys

Yes, it's some kind of bug but I can't get rid of it.
As soon as it updates to the latest version it comes back.

I've run every scan I've got and it comes up clean, but Chrome keeps loading 10 copies of my home page in different tabs.

Other then that it works normally.

As for IE it hasn't been able to open my home page since I got my new Computer.

Comcast Home Page IE.JPG

I've found a few other pages that it won't load as well but I don't remember what they were.

And the Mail App won't open my Comcast mail either.
I guess that it doesn't support POP3, but I don't have a clue with Chrome.
I've had one problem after another with it for the last year.

It works fine if I run an older version, (I've installed an older version a number of times) that includes, on my old computer, but I can't stop it from updating.

Mike

You say you have run every scan and come up clean every time. What software are you using to run these scans? Have you tried running the same scans in safemode with networking? Do you have any plugins installed, if so disable them and retry.

Run these....in safemode...

Malwarebytes
SuperAntiSpyware
TDSS Root kit
Spybot S&D (version 1.62)

I use Defender and run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware every day.

I don't think it's malware related more like some other kind of bug.
But the IE thing has been like this from the start, the Chrome thing just started about a week ago.

But I've had a lot of issues with Chrome over the last year.

I'm not running any plugins.

With IE I used to get a message that it was moving to compatibility mode, when ever it tried to open my home page, now it just opens and shows a blank page.

Maybe when I switch to 8.1 it will fix these issues.

Mike

If you really liked the way Chrome worked, why not use another Chromium based browser? The chromium code is open source. There are many chromium based browsers available. Most of the others were created in such a way that there is nothing Google related about them in any way. Therefore automatic updates are not even an issue. There are probably a dozen or so Chromium based browsers. Admittedly there are only about 5 or 6 popular “mainstream” ones. Just recently, Opera browser switched to the Chromium code as well. There are many choices available if you still want to use a Chromium browser. Should you decide to try one out, you can't go wrong with SRWare Iron. I would take it over Google Chrome any day of the week. I 've been using it for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike since you are having problems with IE and Windows Firewall I would suspect some problem with the install.
Joe

Mike since you are having problems with IE and Windows Firewall I would suspect some problem with the install.
Joe

That's where I was trying to get at Joe, eliminate the most current and obvious but I think your right with the install.

Mike - is this install of windows 8 a clean install or an upgrade install over top of 7? If this was my machine acting like this, and it seems to have been going on for some time, I would flat out reinstall windows 8. Doing a clean install - format the drive with no OS and then install windows 8.

Hey Mike:
Try launching IE 10 without addons.
Hold the Windows Logo Key and strike the "R" key and copy and paste this line into the run dialog box
"%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
and hit enter
Now copy and paste this into the URL address bar (right click, copy link location)
XFINITY by Comcast -- Official Customer Site | Email | Watch TV Online
and hit enter
See if you can log into your homepage and let me know what happens
It could be any number of various addons like the AVG link scanner, etc.,
See attached, no problems with IE 10 loading my xfinity home page here.

Attachments

• IE 10_xfinity.jpg
    IE 10_xfinity.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 370
Hi

This is a new computer (only a few months old) and Windows 8 is the original OS.

The Windows Firewall problem has been solved, and was caused by a permissions issue caused by installing Net Framework 1.1, which created a new user account and screwed things up .

I'm not going to reinstall until I move to 8.1 since reinstalling is a weeks work with all the software I'm running.

And the only thing out of over a hundred pieces of software that is having issues is Google Chrome and IEs inability to open my Comcast home page (it says something about compatibility mode).

I don't know why it has an issue since every other computer I have or had will open it.

I've switched to Firefox which now seems to be very similar to Chrome, it recovered all of my links so there were no problems or work involved in switching over.
It only took a few minutes.

I've created a Windows 8.1 install disk and I'm thinking about creating a new Partition and installing it along with my current install.

I wouldn't install all of my software (too much work) but it would be interesting to see if the issues with IE and Chrome persist.

For now I have IE, Chrome, and Firefox all installed so I'll still see if I can figure out why Chrome opens 10 copies of my home pare every time I launch it.

Other then that is works normally but it's a pain having to close all the open pages every time I use it.

It worked fine until I synced it, which leads my to believe that there is something in my online profile with Google that's causing it to do this, but I have no idea how to reset that.

Mike

Hi Randy I'll give it a try.

Hi Randy

I opened IE with no extensions.
It still does the same thing....

IE at Comcast.JPG

It opens the header but the rest of the page is blank, it does't give me the compatibility mode message anymore just opens like that.

Mike

IEs inability to open my Comcast home page (it says something about compatibility mode).
OK, let's try with your problem xfinity homepage open (more or less) in IE 10 hit the F12 key and from the developers tool menu try experimenting with drop downs for Browser Mode: and Document Mode and see if anything changes.

And as an aside. For those of us long time Firefox fanboyz and in keeping with the Title of this thread.
Take that Google Chrome!!!!
With no apparent weaknesses and generally strong finishes all-around, combined with near-native start times, greatly-improved hardware acceleration scores, and almost-perfect reliability, the latest version of Firefox soundly wins this installment of the Web Browser Grand Prix.
After twelve pages or so and a summary which you can find here Chrome 27, Firefox 22, IE10, And Opera Next, Benchmarked - Opera: Has The Fat Lady Sung? it looks like Firefox is at least holding its' own in the current round of Browser Wars.

Hi Again.

I tried everything there, every mode since IE 6 it never opens.
I'm not sure it this message means anything...

IE Firefox.JPG

Here it is open with Firefox on the right.

Mike

The console error message states: “script5007 unable to get property clientwidth”
That’s a javascript problem.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that you have probably reset IE like a hundred times, but.....
Let's try one more time.
First reset your developers setting to Browser Mode: = IE 10 and Document Mode: = Standards and close IE 10.

With IE closed go to control panel ->view by: small icons-> Internet Options->Advanced Tab
Click restore advanced settings button and then the Reset button and reset everything. Click OK
And then with IE still closed open an Admin Command Prompt and type
ipconfig /flushdns
and hit enter
close the command prompt and open IE 10 and see if you can get your xfinity homepage to display correctly.

Hi

Did the whole thing, it still doesn't show, I still have the same screen with the header but nothing else.

Weird!

Why won't it show this one page when it will open every thing else.
I've accessed YouTube and other sites, video plays, sounds sound everything seems normal, but it won't open the Comcast page.

I have found one place where Google is definitely better then Firefox, it has a much better spell checker.

Firefox has a difficult time with some words, when I screw up

"Up and then down, better then pop corn."

Chrome wouldn't have let me use the second "Then" it would have corrected it to "Than".

Mike

Hey Mike.

I recall you had this problem about three or four months ago. I and others ran out of ideas. Your problem also came up a while before that?
But I pinged the site, and I see it goes through a security organisation. (Akaiia,com). They launch security certificates for authorisation.

I wonder about your security protection. Zone alarm is a potential, but I think that was asked before and you do not use it?

Bu see if you can override it by by making it a safe site. Tools - Internet Options - Security Tab.
Select "Trusted Sites" and "Sites" and type in the full address, as in your picture link.. For the sake of the test, you could also wind down the scale you see in that tab, but remember to wind it up again.

fwiw. As was said in the previous posts on the subject, googling shows that many have had the same problem with that particular site, with no permanent solution.

Back