Windows 8 Take that Google Chrome!!!!

Hi Guys

I did get the Chrome glitch fixed, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but in searching I found a download for an extension that said it would get rid of the multiple pages opening problem.

I downloaded and installed it.

Even though I took great care to tell it that I didn't want anything else installed I ended up with some malware called Something Search, that took over my home page on all of the browsers.

After researching that I was able to remove it with SuperAntiSpyware, which I use anyway.

That took an hour or so, and I had to do a system restore at the end to make sure I had a clean registry.

That caused me to have to reinstall my recent graphics driver updates and Java, but when I got done Chrome was working normally again.

IE still won't show my Comcast home page but I've found a lot of other people with the same problem over an extended period of time with no resolution, so I'll just use MSN's home page it I need to use IE.

There used to be time when I would run into sites that required it but that doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

Mike

Probably it is dependent on yr ISP speed, etc.. But I find the msn page loads quite slowly on my computers. It is a matter of what you get used to, I guess, but I have traditionally, always used
Google

Opens instantly, and then I can get on with things.

Yes I guess I have to relent now that I have it working and say "Welcome Back Chrome".

I did fine that Firefox worked quite well though and will keep it as a reserve.

I've set Chrome so it doesn't sign me in, maybe if it doesn't know who I am it will leave me alone.

Mike

Hi

Just an update, since I started this I've found other web pages that won't load in IE.
Weird because they load in everything else, both Chrome and Firefox with no issues.

Renderosity Home Page.JPG

I'm only running Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender and don't have any other active protection running.
I have 100 Mbs service, and other services all work.

It's not an issue really since I don't have to use IE but if they can't make a bullet proof browser that will open everything, they are really blowing it some how.

This has been an issue for some time with no fix.

It's like not being able to open Pop3 mail with the mail app, whose idea was that.
I wonder if 8.1 will open my mail?

If you are going to make a mail app you make one that will open everyone's mail, Comcast is one of if not the largest net providers in the country, and you aren't compatible with them?

I don't get it.

Mike

I'm only running Windows Firewall, and Windows Defender and don't have any other active protection running.

Not according to your attachment.... I see the AVG toolbar installed which leads me to believe you have AVG installed as well, which could be causing some or all the conflicts.

It's like not being able to open Pop3 mail with the mail app, whose idea was that.

My mail app opens my pop3 mail account with no problems....not sure what you've got going on there. Are you sure you added it correctly?

Is this a dual boot or strictly an 8 machine? Honestly with all these issues and problems you're having, I'd be doing a clean install...no if and's or buts about it.

Hi

I don't have AVG installed, and never have, the toolbar is some extension that keeps showing up in IE, but not Chrome or Firefox.

I have removed it from Chrome, in the past, I'll see if there is a ways to stop it from running in IE as well.

I do use both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware but only run manually, they don't load at startup.

I could not get my mail to open in the mail app, when I questioned why, I was told that it doesn't support Pop3 Mail.

It appears that Microsoft has decided to fix that...

POP3 Email for Windows 8

This is a new computer (only a few months old) that has Windows 8 as it's only and native operating system.

I've found several pages that IE can't open, and I don't see anything in common between them other then they have a lot of graphics on them.

With my home page originally gave me a message that it was switching to Compatibility Mode, now it just doesn't open.

I'm not sure what compatibility mode is or why it's necessary.

Mike

It appears that Microsoft has decided to fix that...
I don't believe that Microsoft had much, if anything, to do with that.
According to the link that is a third party application by someone called Ganda B.V. based out of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
And is not free as you might hope a true Microsoft solution would be.

Mike, is it possible that the AVG toolbar may have been bundled with something else you installed? Nowadays companies have become increasingly deceptive in how they package additional software with downloads. I have enclosed an image from AVG’s site that shows how to uninstall the toolbar and have also included a direct link from their site with details for a manual uninstall as well.

How to remove AVG Toolbar, homepage and Secure Search from your browser | FAQ | AVG Worldwide

Attachments

• avg.jpg
    avg.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 370
For compatibility mode..... Compatibility View - Microsoft Windows

As for the rest of your issues...I believe it to be a bug of some sort, and your browser being hijacked by a toolbar is obvious proof, for me personally. I would run all your spyware and malware software in safemode with networking, this way you can update those programs before running them. I have a gut feeling that this is what all your issues stem from.

Getting into safemode in windows 8 takes some doing, so have a look at this....

Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode) - Microsoft Windows Help

I like this method better.....but remember to undo it when ready to get back into normal mode....

How To Boot Into Safe Mode Windows 8 - YouTube

Also check your add/remove programs list for any unknown software listed and uninstall them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I got rid of the AVG toolbar.

I ran the AVG Toolbar removal tool and it did get rid of it.

I ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and both came up clean.

I'm sure the AVG toolbar did get downloaded along with something else, at one time or another it has shown up in different browsers.

I didn't realize that the Pop3 Mail app wasn't a Microsoft app, I wasn't going to download it even if it was, I'm happy with Thunderbird but when I saw it I thought they had seen the light.

It still asks the question "Why doesn't Windows 8 support Pop3 mail?".
Would that be so hard to do for some reason?

I don't know if there is a technical issue of some kind but Windows Live Mail doesn't have any trouble with it.

Mike

It still asks the question "Why doesn't Windows 8 support Pop3 mail?"

It does....

I ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and both came up clean.

Did you run them in safemode?

I think your infection, I and still believe you're infected, has corrupted your PC's system file structure and has altered your windows registry. You could try running "sfc /scannow" with out the quotes in a cmd prompt and see what it finds. With out knowing for sure what that is....the safest and surest way is to reinstall....

Does that include 8 Pro....because I sure do get my pop3 email from my ISP on the windows mail app and it's not an IMAP, that I can tell or find.

Well Mike H...I owe you an apology...you are in fact correct that windows 8/8 Pro/RT doesn't support pop3 email accounts. So what I have apparently done is set up my ISP email account with live.com and/or outlook.com like the link Randy posted and that's how I get my ISP email in the windows email app.

Hi

Yes it was acknowledged by Microsoft that Windows 8 doesn't support Pop3 email, I have no idea why they would make the decision to exclude any type of email, not when everything else supports it.

I used Windows Live Mail (I've run Windows 8 since beta) instead for the last couple of years but recently went back to Thunderbird.

It would seem to me that the object of designing a new operating system is to make is as inclusive as possible, not exclude the mail services of one of, if not the largest internet service provider in the US.

I want to make clear that I'm not anti Windows 8, it's stable and fast, but it does have it's oddities.

Why Internet Explorer won't display some web pages is one of them.

I'm not the only person who can't open the Comcast home page, but there must be some other factor that causes it to not work on my computer, while is does on others is a mystery.

Like I said, my computer is only a few months old, (it's a falcon NW Talon) Windows 8 is the original operating system, and it was installed from a Windows 8 disk, (which I have) and came as a nice clean install with no bloatware, or junk, just the OS.

I'm a fanatic about keeping it clean, I run malware scans every day.

Anyway none of the things we've talked about is a real problem, I don't have to use IE, and I don't have to use the Metro interface.

But I still think that there should have been an option when Windows 8 was first installed that asked, "Are you using a Touchscreen or a Mouse and Keyboard?" and then the OS should have been tailored to the kind of computer is was installed on.

Mike

Yes it was acknowledged by Microsoft that Windows 8 doesn't support Pop3 email, I have no idea why they would make the decision to exclude any type of email, not when everything else supports it.

I’m assuming that you are referring to your Comcast account.
In the Comcast forums, this very issue was discussed. From what I’ve read, there was one interesting comment that may explain why:

To be fair to Microsoft, you have to understand that POP protocol is old, and was developed back when security concerns were not nearly as elevated as they are today. Comcast has done a very good job securing POP protocols, but the same cannot be said for rest of the world.
Microsoft has been dinged for many many years over security (or the lack thereof) with their systems and programs. So watching them dump the POP standard that is (and except for companies like Comcast that use a securing method) basically unsecured is not a surprise.
Re: Windows 8 Email dropped pop service support. O... - Comcast Help and Support Forums

Although Microsoft is not the kind of company that likes to publicly give reasons for any decision(s) they make, this seems highly plausible. Microsoft usually makes such changes as these without giving the end user any options other than using third party workarounds or force others to adapt to their changes.

I think the reason for all your problems Mike might just be files from 8 that got removed with all the "Cleaners" you use. I used to do the same and after numerous reinstalls to fix problems and Microsoft telling me don't use them cause they will damage my PC I was at wits end and decided not to use them. My PC has not had any problems with slowing down or blue screens since I started doing this. I use IE as browser of choice since I have been with Windows 8 as well as Windows antivirus that is built in and same goes for other PC with Windows 7 which is a laptop. I did try Chrome and Waterfall as well as Firefox but like newer IE better and it is also faster. I let Windows take care of everything related to Windows.

I think the reason for all your problems Mike might just be files from 8 that got removed with all the "Cleaners" you use. I used to do the same and after numerous reinstalls to fix problems and Microsoft telling me don't use them cause they will damage my PC I was at wits end and decided not to use them. My PC has not had any problems with slowing down or blue screens since I started doing this. I use IE as browser of choice since I have been with Windows 8 as well as Windows antivirus that is built in and same goes for other PC with Windows 7 which is a laptop. I did try Chrome and Waterfall as well as Firefox but like newer IE better and it is also faster. I let Windows take care of everything related to Windows.

Good point...especially if those so called registry cleaners are being used. I only run my maintenance programs on a bi-weekly basis, seems to do the trick for me as well. No registry cleaners either, if my registry needs tending to, I do it manually.

Hi

I really don't think the problems I have, (and there aren't any that other people aren't having too), are because of any kind of corruption.

After all everyone agrees that Windows 8 doesn't support Pop3 email, and a lot of people can't get IE to display the Comcast home page and other pages.

So none of these seem to be unique to my computer.

Beyond that I don't really have any real issues other then the fact that I don't like the Metro interface.

I never have any blue screens or freezes, my computer is super fast all the time, I can run any computer game at max setting at 144 fps in Stereo 3D, and my graphics programs all run better then they ever have.

The improved performance is the real reason I went with Windows 8.

But even Microsoft is finally acknowledging they have some issues.

As for Chrome, I see hundreds of people posting about problems with it, but for the most part it still works a lot better then IE.

Right now I've been switching back and forth between Firefox and Chrome and both will open any page I go to.
Only IE won't, in the old days I'd uninstall IE and reinstall it but I guess it doesn't really do that anymore.

I don't use any of those tuneup you PC programs, the only programs I run that aren't part of Windows are Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, both of which I've run for many years.

Mike

Ps. I went into control panel and turned off Internet Explorer.

This is a major action now it would seem, I got a lot of disk action, it rebooted and I got a lot of configuring and removing preference screens etc. the process took about 5 minutes.

Tomorrow I'll turn it back on and see if it works better then it did.

Back