Windows 7 Taskbar icons possibly corrupted.

Hellreject

Hey.

I've been using Windows 7 RC (32-bit) for quite some time now, and mostly without problems.
One thing that annoys me greatly though, is that some of my taskbar icons seem corrupted.
I have checked the actual folders of the icons that are supposedly gone; all the icons are still there, but the programs pinned on the taskbar still doesn't recognize them.

I tried deleting the icon cache, without getting any kind of result from it. I tried resizing the icons a few times to rebuild the icon cache, still nothing. Anyone else got a clue what this might be? Screenshot included.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

The programs affected currently are Microsoft Office 2007, Windows Live Messenger, and a couple of non-Microsoft related programs.

Interesting you mention the icons. I've found mine go white when closing a program, then after 10 seconds return to normal! (No solution to offer unfortunately)

Best regards

Steven

If only it was that easy. :)

Actually, it seems like there's more wrong here. I cannot eject USB devices by using the icon in the system tray anymore either, I have to eject them by right clicking on them in "My Computer".
Also, my Devices and Printers window will not show. It pops up, but it loads endlessly and nothing is shown. It's kinda driving me crazy.

I'm having the same issues as Hellreject and Shalom2010. I was able to restore some of the icons in a custom toolbar on my taskbar by changing them to something else and then changing them back to the default, but unable to do so in Windows Explorer.

I had a few icons in my start menu with the same issue as well, but only 1 or 2. I also tried deleting my icon cache and rebooting just like Hellreject.

In addition, occasionally when I am browsing through Images on my external hard drive, my thumbnails will completely disappear until I close Windows Explorer and re-open it. Sometimes I have no problem with this at all, so it's not as much of an issue as the icons, but still slightly annoying.

Taskbar Screenshot:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Windows Explorer:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hellreject,

I've heard this is a problem if you have made updates to Microsoft Office.

Fot the others, did you delete the iconcache.db file or somewhere in the registry?

Hellreject,

I've heard this is a problem if you have made updates to Microsoft Office.

Fot the others, did you delete the iconcache.db file or somewhere in the registry?

I've made updates to Microsoft Office, but not within the past few days (my icons only disappeared today).

I went to C:\Users\Tim\AppData\Local and deleted the iconcache.db file, then rebooted. Nothing changed.

Try this at your own risk:

Go to Start > Run, and type Regedit.
navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

and delete the Setting entry

Also this location as well:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4061621919-1254611917-3314822544-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2
the S-1-5-21 SID is unique for every user. Substitute the one above for your user account.

If this doesn't work, try starting in Safe Mode, then restart normally.

Also, look over the threads at the bottom of this page relating to the icons.

Try this at your own risk:

Go to Start > Run, and type Regedit.
navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2

and delete the Setting entry

Also this location as well:
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4061621919-1254611917-3314822544-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects2
the S-1-5-21 SID is unique for every user. Substitute the one above for your user account.

If this doesn't work, try starting in Safe Mode, then restart normally.

Also, look over the threads at the bottom of this page relating to the icons.

Thanks for at least offering a possible solution. This is more than i've found with all my Googling power :) Unfortunately however, this did nothing for me. Have no idea if it had any side effects at all, but nothing that I have noticed as of yet. Seems like I'll be stuck with the issue for a while longer.

I didn't try anything to fix this, but it appears the problem has solved itself and my icons are displaying correctly now. Thanks for the help though!

Back