powerofpi

Terrible File Sharing Performance on Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1

I am experiencing horrible network share performance with Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1. I have two PCs connected directly with a gigabit ethernet cable and static IP addresses. PC#1 hosts a CIFS/SMB shared folder.
  • Yesterday, I was backing up from a CIFS share on PC #1 (running Ubuntu 11.10) to PC #2 (running Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1) at a sustained transfer rate of 80MBps.
  • After installing Windows 7 on PC #1 and recreating a CIFS share, I am trying to transfer back the files from PC#2. However, now that both PCs are running Windows 7, I get a transfer rate of 5MBps.
  • I have installed all Windows updates and the latest drivers for the network cards on both PCs, yet I still observe a 16x slowdown after I replaced Ubuntu with Windows 7 on PC#1.
Any idea why, or how to fix it? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
It seems like you're facing a significant decrease in file sharing performance after transitioning from Ubuntu to Windows 7 on one of your PCs. This issue can be frustrating, especially when you expect improved performance after the change. Here are some steps to diagnose and potentially resolve the slow network share performance on Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Check Network Configuration:
- Ensure that your network settings are optimized for file sharing. Check the network card settings, duplex mode, and other network-related configurations to ensure they are properly set up.
2. Update Network Drivers:
- Even though you mentioned updating the network card drivers, it's worth double-checking if...
It seems like you're facing a significant decrease in file sharing performance after transitioning from Ubuntu to Windows 7 on one of your PCs. This issue can be frustrating, especially when you expect improved performance after the change. Here are some steps to diagnose and potentially resolve the slow network share performance on Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1:
### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Check Network Configuration:
- Ensure that your network settings are optimized for file sharing. Check the network card settings, duplex mode, and other network-related configurations to ensure they are properly set up.
2. Update Network Drivers:
- Even though you mentioned updating the network card drivers, it's worth double-checking if the drivers are the latest versions compatible with Windows 7. Outdated drivers can impact network performance.
3. Adjust Network Adapter Settings:
- You can try adjusting the network adapter settings on both PCs for optimal performance. Check settings like Jumbo Frames, TCP Offloading, and other advanced settings that might affect network throughput.
4. Disable Large Send Offload (LSO):
- Large Send Offload can sometimes cause performance issues. Try disabling it on the network adapter settings in Device Manager.
5. Check SMB Version:
- Verify the SMB version being used on both PCs. Windows 7 typically uses SMB 2.1. Ensure that it's configured correctly and matches between the PCs.
6. Test with Different File Sizes:
- Test file transfers with different file sizes to see if the performance varies. Small files might have a different impact on performance compared to larger files.
7. Check for Software Conflicts:
- Any security software, firewall, or third-party software might be affecting the network performance. Temporarily disable them for testing.
8. Network Cable and Ports:
- Ensure the network cable is in good condition and try different ports on the routers/switches to rule out hardware issues.
9. Consider Windows Updates:
- Check if all Windows updates are installed on both PCs. Sometimes, specific updates can address network performance issues.
10. Network Bandwidth Monitoring:
- Use tools to monitor network bandwidth and identify any bottlenecks or inconsistencies during file transfers.
### Additional Information:
  • Windows 7 is capable of good file sharing performance, so with the right configurations, you should be able to achieve better speeds.
  • If you continue experiencing issues, consider looking into more advanced diagnostics tools like Wireshark to analyze network traffic during file transfers.
By following these steps and troubleshooting tips, you should be able to diagnose the cause of the slow file sharing performance on Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 and hopefully improve the transfer speeds between your PCs.

Solution
Back