Windows 7 That's it! I'm going back to Vista-

hartstoc

That's it! I'm going back to Vista-(not!)

Why can I not at least have the option for local email? Windows mail was fine in Vista. Windows live is a total turn-off

EDIT- I think this is resolved for me- Would have been easier if Microsoft had included a replacement for windows mail WITH Windows 7, though.

Last edited:
What is it you find in Live mail that you dislike?
It is optional, and there are a mass of other mail programs you can use. Do you really think it is a reason to return to Vista, after paying such a sum?

Don't give up yet, try Thunerbird, very similar to Outlook Express anf Windows Mail.,

Link Removed - Invalid URL

What is it you find in Live mail that you dislike?
It is optional, and there are a mass of other mail programs you can use. Do you really think it is a reason to return to Vista, after paying such a sum?

I want all of my email files and folders on my own computer- not on a Microsoft server. Also, I dislike the organization and functionality of inbox, send/receive, etc. I REALLY dislike windows Messenger and the other intrusive, privacy-robbing components that were included, against my wishes, with the Live bundle. I tried to select mail only and ended up with the whole nasty mess.

I've installed thunderbird but cannot for the life of me sort out how to get my email archives, settings, files and folders, contacts OUT of Live Mail and onto Thunderbird. Do these files even exist on my hard-drive now? Can someone help?

Why couldn't Microsoft simply leave windows mail in windows 7, offer the Window Live download, and let ME decide??

Check out other e-mail clients, maybe you'll find something that suits your needs: comparison of e-mail clients

Try researching a little bit, don't be one of the kind \"I don't like Windows 7 logon sound, I'm switching back to Vista/XP\"

Cheers

I appreciate your sentiment- and I was very much looking forward to Windows 7, but I feel that Microsoft's decision to deprive me of a basic, valuable component, Windows Mail, typifies the company's arrogant disdain for it's own clients.

Windows Mail was only a clone of OE. It was never intended to be in the final release of 7. In an effort to move foreward, Microsoft introduced the "Live mail"
It is, by far, much much better then Windows Mail. It has several functions you won't find in Windows Mail, such as RSS Feed reader and integrated Windows Live contacts, which syncs automatically with your Windows Live account online and Windows Live Messenger contacts and many more. The User interface is much better and there are lots of enhancements for e-mail composing.
The main differences is it supports Pop3, IMAP, HTTP website (EX: Hotmail) email, and is a lot more stable. WLM will minimize to a tray bar icon and has a separate Inbox for each email account. It will automatically import Windows Mail messages, accounts, and settings into it.
I have no idea why the program installed the whole package, if you only ticked the mail program.
Logging on to messenger is an option which you can refuse.
All your files and folders remain on your own computer

RAK-Thanks for the clarification-

Thanks for the clarifications. I thought the whole "Live" bundle was essentially cloud computing being promoted by Microsoft. I'll spend a bit more time with Live Mail and try to do some customizing. One question- Is there a way to export the folders/contacts/settings to a different email program like Thunderbird if that is what I want to do? I see no provision for this.

Even if Live Mail does turn out to be satisfactory- I feel that it was very poorly presented by the company with the Windows 7 release- They could have saved a lot of confusion- I know I am not the only one.

I'll consider modifying my original thread once I sort this out.

There is always Microsoft Outlook, which comes with Office. I can't imagine anyone using a computer for productivity without having Office... and then there are free options like Thunderbird. Online mail is much better since you will NEVER lose your e-mail.

There is always Microsoft Outlook, which comes with Office. I can't imagine anyone using a computer for productivity without having Office... and then there are free options like Thunderbird. Online mail is much better since you will NEVER lose your e-mail.

Actually, I paid for MS Office with my recently new Dell, but it does not include Outlook.

I've tried to get Thunderbird up and running but I see no way to import settings, folders, or contacts from Live Mail. I see no export function in live mail at all, and Thunderbird's "import from" options include only eudora, Outlook Express, Outlook, and text files.

Maybe someone who uses one of the alternative email programs can help you. I am sure they have an "import function". But "Live" had export functions from the Contacts and main folder. I have never used it so have no idea of it capabilities.
Fwiw. Office always comes with Outlook incorporated as a selectable option..

Why couldn't Microsoft simply leave windows mail in windows 7, offer the Window Live download, and let ME decide??

Because they are under legal pressure to give people some alterntives and not bundle eveythig with the OS.

Anyway... you have two easy options....

1. Get a gmail account or Yahoo account and forward the email you want to save to that account... then they will be available to you from anywhere in the world.

2. Make a new folder and save the emails you want to keep, in text format to the folder. They will load into live mail if you just click on them.

3, Don't worry... people who really love you will eventually write to you again.... unless they upgraded to live mail too. :confused:

" Don't worry... people who really love you will eventually write to you again.... "

OMG. That's bad news for me if I change my account.

Back