Windows 7 The Recycle Bin on ... is corrupt.

dgoodwin

Hi all,

I am really hoping you can help me as I am so close to ripping my hair out!

I have searched on google and my issue seems to be a little different to others...

I am getting these four errors messages below:
The Recycle Bin on \\SERVER\~ is corrupt. Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?
The Recycle Bin on \\SERVER\My Videos is corrupt. Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?
The Recycle Bin on \\SERVER\My Pictures is corrupt. Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?
The Recycle Bin on \\SERVER\My Music is corrupt. Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive?

Following advice from other forum posts, I have been looking to delete the folder $Recycle.bin in all the directories above. so:
\\SERVER\~\$Recycle.bin
\\SERVER\My Videos\$Recycle.bin
\\SERVER\My Pictures\$Recycle.bin
\\SERVER\My Music\$Recycle.bin

However $Recycle.bin in all these directories do not exist so I am unable to delete them, but some theyre corrupt?

I have also tried to run the following command using an elevated command prompt, but it said Access is denied even though I am using a domain administrator account.
rd /s /q \\SERVER\~\$Recycle.bin

I have also looked in the registry below while signed in as the user and the directories are as follows:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
My Music = %USERPROFILE%\Music
My Pictures = %USERPROFILE%\Pictures
My Video = %USERPROFILE%\Videos
Personal = \\SERVER\~

I am using Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.

Could someone help me out with this please?

Thanks,
Dan Goodwin

When you attempt to delete a user recycle bin it will always delete your own. It won't read the full name. They actually have your SID appended. It's best just to delete them all. They will automatically be recreated.

rd /q /s C:\$Recycle.Bin or \\server\C$\$Recycle.Bin for remote

When you attempt to delete a user recycle bin it will always delete your own. It won't read the full name. They actually have your SID appended. It's best just to delete them all. They will automatically be recreated.

rd /q /s C:\$Recycle.Bin or \\server\C$\$Recycle.Bin for remote

Hi thank you for your reply.

I haven't attempted to delete the recycle bin on the server as this is the file server where everyone's roaming profiles and network drives are stored. What implications will this have?

is there any alternative?

The only downside is they won't be able to recover what's presently in their recycle bin. In 99% cases this shouldn't be an issue since they already deleted said items

The only downside is they won't be able to recover what's presently in their recycle bin. In 99% cases this shouldn't be an issue since they already deleted said items

ah right okay.

However it is only one user that is affected by this. All other users do not get this error.

It still wouldn't really hurt anything to delete them all. If you want to target just that users RB you can run a tool like TreeSize Free on the server and drill down in C:\$Recycle.Bin and delete the sub directory with their SID. You can determine that by the registry or if you're on Active Directory run the following powershell command on a system with RSAT installed. Get-ADUser <username> that should return the SID

Back
Top Bottom