Windows 7 "The restore point selected was damaged or deleted during the restore"

jayboy

Hello everyone, I receive "The restore point selected was damaged or deleted during the restore" after I try system restore. I have already tried different restore points and have Run
SFC /SCANNOW but to no avail. Did a start up repair too but no problems were detected.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

The SFC cannot repair restore points. Those can get damaged by many events. If anything, a chkdsk /r may help. But that is not sure either.

It is not a good idea to rely on restore points. Half of the time they do not work. It is much safer to make frquent images.

The SFC cannot repair restore points. Those can get damaged by many events. If anything, a chkdsk /r may help. But that is not sure either.

It is not a good idea to rely on restore points. Half of the time they do not work. It is much safer to make frquent images.

Hi whs, thank you for coming to my thread :)

I have just run chkdsk /r but the issue remains ...

any other suggestions?

Are you trying to restore your system to an earlier time?
Or
Are you asking why system restore copies get corrupted?

You could always try pressing F8 whilst booting to enter the advanced boot options. Once there try the option 'last good known config'

Are you trying to restore your system to an earlier time?
Or
Are you asking why system restore copies get corrupted?

You could always try pressing F8 whilst booting to enter the advanced boot options. Once there try the option 'last good known config'

Hello Kemical and thanks for your reply

Yes I am trying to restore to an earlier point and I have already tried from advance boot.
I am presented with the message above "The restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore"

I also tried deleting all my other restore points,turned system restore on and off but am still getting this message.
Why is this happening?

You can create a system repair disc, Create a system repair disc, or you can download a Repair and Recovery disc, Windows 7 Repair and Recovery CD Download | The NeoSmart Files NOT FREE!!!

What I would do would be the hard way: clear everything, and reinstall. Playing with "try this and that and those in order to get it fixed" usually takes more time than cleaning it all, and making a fresh start. Then, make partitions in a way that prevent you from loosing data in future. One partition for Windows = system and other programs, other partitions for saves and other valuable stuff.

Cheerio. :)

Hello Kemical and thanks for your reply

Yes I am trying to restore to an earlier point and I have already tried from advance boot.
I am presented with the message above "The restore point was damaged or deleted during the restore"

I also tried deleting all my other restore points,turned system restore on and off but am still getting this message.
Why is this happening?

Hi,

there could be many reasons why the original shadow copies got corrupted. Not shutting a system down properly (sometimes known as a hard shutdown), a system crash or blue screen and even virus activity can all corrupt stored data.

If all your repairs are corrupt you can either do a clean or custom install and put it down to experience or if there is data your still trying to access try performing an upgrade install. This way you'll get to keep your personal files and folders.

Could you give us some information about your system?

How large is your hard drive and how much free space does it show?

What settings do you show in the Restore settings for what partitions/drives you are protecting and how much space?

Do you do any type of system cleaning that might disrupt the information for the restore points?

If you right click the C: partition and select properties, then Previous versions, are you showing restore points? How many and can you use the Open button to look at them?

You can create a system repair disc, Create a system repair disc, or you can download a Repair and Recovery disc, Windows 7 Repair and Recovery CD Download | The NeoSmart Files NOT FREE!!!

What I would do would be the hard way: clear everything, and reinstall. Playing with "try this and that and those in order to get it fixed" usually takes more time than cleaning it all, and making a fresh start. Then, make partitions in a way that prevent you from loosing data in future. One partition for Windows = system and other programs, other partitions for saves and other valuable stuff.

Cheerio. :)

There has to be another way without doing a vanilla reinstall?
So if this happens again am I just suppose to reinstall my OS?

Hi,

there could be many reasons why the original shadow copies got corrupted. Not shutting a system down properly (sometimes known as a hard shutdown), a system crash or blue screen and even virus activity can all corrupt stored data.

If all your repairs are corrupt you can either do a clean or custom install and put it down to experience or if there is data your still trying to access try performing an upgrade install. This way you'll get to keep your personal files and folders.

Last week I had many BSOD's
but they have since stopped and I have SP1 installed so could I still upgrade install?

Could you give us some information about your system?

How large is your hard drive and how much free space does it show?

What settings do you show in the Restore settings for what partitions/drives you are protecting and how much space?

Do you do any type of system cleaning that might disrupt the information for the restore points?

If you right click the C: partition and select properties, then Previous versions, are you showing restore points? How many and can you use the Open button to look at them?

15.8 free out of 223

I do not know but most likely default settings

and Yes it is showing restore points as far back as 5/24/2012

Last week I had many BSOD's
but they have since stopped and I have SP1 installed so could I still upgrade install?

In theory yes.. Have you checked your 'Event viewer'? It may give information pertinent to this problem.

In theory yes.. Have you checked your 'Event viewer'? It may give information pertinent to this problem.

Hi kemical this is what the event viewer showed

Log Name: Application
Source: System Restore
Date: 5/26/2012 7:30:08 AM
Event ID: 8206
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Jay-PC
Description:
The restore point selected was damaged or deleted during the restore (Restore Operation).
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="System Restore" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">8206</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-05-26T14:30:08.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>29223</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>Jay-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Restore Operation</Data>
<Binary>00000000AE0800009408000000000000CBC8392507000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Hi

If you want to do an upgrade reinstall you will have to remove service pack 1 first unless you have a OS disk that already has it incorporated.

How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

This was a lot easier before SP1.

Here's a guide on how to repair Windows 7.

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums

I have to say that over the years I've had many times when the Windows Restore Point didn't work.
It seems that a lot of changes made after the restore point is made negates it, since it can't deal with some of the things that have been modified since it was created.

But to avoid having to do this over and over use a back up utility to make a system backup that will restore your whole C:\ drive back to the way it was when you backed it up. The whole process can take as little as 15 minutes.

There are a few free ones that people say work well, I use Acronis True Image.

But as far as I know the native Windows 7 back up works.

Mike

Hey guys is there anything else I can try besides a re-install and upgrade install?
There's just gotta be a solution to this....

My best guess right now is that you don't have enough room on the hard drive. The shadow copy process is supposed to use just a small percentage, but maybe your restore points are large enough they are being deleted. But for a message to say the restore point was overwritten during the restore operation, seems a little strange and I can think of no other reason.

I don't suppose you would feel like imaging the drive and installing a larger one, or moving some items off the drive for testing?

Just to follow on with Saltgrasses post, check the screenshot on how to configure disk space for system restore:

sys restore.jpg

Back