Windows 7 The worst installation ever

D

droflex

Well, here 'ya go. It's almost midnight. I have been working on this installation every night when I get home from work since Friday the 23rd. Many, many hours now.

I'm going to reveal my solution to this installation problem right after this lengthy, yet abbriviated diatribe:

I downloaded the premium upgrade on the aformentioned Friday to install on my XP based machine. Backed up the current stuff first. The installation locked up at about 2/3 thru and after a couple reboots I ended up back looking at an XP screen.

I repeated this procedure a few times while changing the parameters (custom install, earlier version, rollback, you-name-it.

Microsoft gave me a refund over the phone (couldnt believe it) and the tech said I need to do a "clean" install. I did. Same problem. Freeze at 2/3 install. Tried all parameters again but nothing. Put my bios back to basic with no overclocking, just basic as all hell.

At this point I said F it and wanted to go back to XP so I tried to reinstall the backup that I did but it wouldnt work. Couple years worth of data down the tube. I've never had a virus that took out everything, but this upgrade managed to do it. Am I pissed? No. There isnt a word in the english language that can describe how I feel right now.

I had nothing to lose now.

Finally, today I went to Best Buy and bought an actual boxed version plus another 2 gigs of memory. Tried to install that on a freshly formatted drive and same insanity occured. Freeze at 2/3. Not only that, I cant access the internet anymore and I'm getting messages about .dll's that are missing or whatever.

I tried the MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS thing but obviously it didnt work or I wouldnt be writing this.

I am able to access the internet right now because I am tethering off my android mobile phone. Imagine that, I can access the internet and get on this forum off my phone but not off my computer. Something is wrong with that scene.

Anyway, here is the solution that I found:

I'm going to buy an IMAC.

Yep, Microsoft finally did it this time. I stuck with them since Windows was simply called Windows (it didnt even have a 1.0 after it). I've been through every phase, every hair-pulling frustration. I am 43 years old and cannot go thru this any longer. I drive a toyota now because the chevy's, ford's and chryslers were not cutting it.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft is to computers what those "domestic's" are to cars.

Good luck to you all that are going to stick with them. I'm moving on.

I know you'll delete this because you have to but I had to get it off my mind and tell my side of this mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
This could have just been your computer. You could have bought a new pc. Or since you are getting a iMac why not install it on Bootcamp.

Well, here 'ya go. It's almost midnight. I have been working on this installation every night when I get home from work since Friday the 23rd. Many, many hours now.

I'm going to reveal my solution to this installation problem right after this lengthy, yet abbriviated diatribe:

I downloaded the premium upgrade on the aformentioned Friday to install on my XP based machine. Backed up the current stuff first. The installation locked up at about 2/3 thru and after a couple reboots I ended up back looking at an XP screen.

I repeated this procedure a few times while changing the parameters (custom install, earlier version, rollback, you-name-it.

Microsoft gave me a refund over the phone (couldnt believe it) and the tech said I need to do a "clean" install. I did. Same problem. Freeze at 2/3 install. Tried all parameters again but nothing. Put my bios back to basic with no overclocking, just basic as all hell.

At this point I said F it and wanted to go back to XP so I tried to reinstall the backup that I did but it wouldnt work. Couple years worth of data down the tube. I've never had a virus that took out everything, but this upgrade managed to do it. Am I pissed? No. There isnt a word in the english language that can describe how I feel right now.

I had nothing to lose now.

Finally, today I went to Best Buy and bought an actual boxed version plus another 2 gigs of memory. Tried to install that on a freshly formatted drive and same insanity occured. Freeze at 2/3. Not only that, I cant access the internet anymore and I'm getting messages about .dll's that are missing or whatever.

I tried the MIG_UPGRADE_IGNORE_PLUGINS thing but obviously it didnt work or I wouldnt be writing this.

I am able to access the internet right now because I am tethering off my android mobile phone. Imagine that, I can access the internet and get on this forum off my phone but not off my computer. Something is wrong with that scene.

Anyway, here is the solution that I found:

I'm going to buy an IMAC.

Yep, Microsoft finally did it this time. I stuck with them since Windows was simply called Windows (it didnt even have a 1.0 after it). I've been through every phase, every hair-pulling frustration. I am 43 years old and cannot go thru this any longer. I drive a toyota now because the chevy's, ford's and chryslers were not cutting it.

As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft is to computers what those "domestic's" are to cars.

Good luck to you all that are going to stick with them. I'm moving on.

I know you'll delete this because you have to but I had to get it off my mind and tell my side of this mess.

Unless you can document that similar problems are being experienced by a significant number of other customers, I'll agree with PCBoyGeorge and assume the problem's with your computer (or you). Bye, bye!

I am certain the majority of members will disagree with your final views. But this forum is democratic and open to all opinons. I doubt if your post will be deleted as it will probably have quite a large feedback!

Good luck with your MAC.

BTW I don't see how you lost "couple of years of data" since you said "Backed up the current stuff first" but I figure you said the latter for effect. I have installed WIndows 7 on a number of computer from old to new with minimal issues.

Apple, besides being expensive, has a significant advantage in that they don't need to support an almost infinite number of hardware configurations as does Microsoft.

Sorry I knew after I posted that I probably could have not went on a rant but I wa extremely frustrated. But yes, I have read of others having this problem. And I did lose everything. That is my fault. The upgrade advissor told me that my pc was good for 32 bit. Again, I have been workin on this for 5 days so I think I gave it a good try before complaining openly about it. I am tping from my phone right now so when I get home I will tether it again to give more specifics. I am calmed down and I don't have a splitting headache. Thank, no more need to chastize me, I know I did wrong by coming on here and blowing up. I just want to know why it didn't work.

after a couple reboots I ended up back looking at an XP screen.
First, I always hate to hear about folks having problems like yours. I am sure just about everyone has run into problems somewhere that were frustrating, but if you ended back at the XP screen, did you try to do an in-place upgrade from XP?

Did you ever try to use the disk options button on the partitions page to format prior to continuing the install?

I've never had a virus that took out everything, but this upgrade managed to do it.
A clean install, which is what you had to do, will remove your old stuff on purpose.

Tried to install that on a freshly formatted drive and same insanity occured. Freeze at 2/3.
Was your old XP drive still connected?

If you still cannot install and would like to try again, I suggest you remove any and all devices you can, using just the new drive. Do the install and use the drive options-format selection to format the partition before you select it to install on. Don't worry about a prior OS right now because the upgrade will install, maybe just not activate if you do not have a prior OS, but you will know if it will work.

One reason many folks chose not to go to Vista was problems with older software and devices. Windows 7 is a little better, but it is a large step from XP. When you get to the MAC, I believe they also cut off their operating systems from supporting certain types of earlier software and hardware.

Anyway, I'm going to beat this dead horse one more time and then I'm done. I'm only doing this because I hate trolls just like everyone else and dont want to be considered as one. I also respect that I was able to vent and not have the admins delete my message. They let the community handle it.

Quite frankly, I thought you guys let me off easy.

Except for Miss bye, bye. You young lady...It sounds like your a little feisty. I like 'em that way.

I didnt come back here to defend myself. I could have left that original message and been gone forever.

I will still try to get my PC up and running because I have too much time and hardware invested in it to just kick it to the curb. I wont however put another dime into it in order to make 7 run. If XP will run on it again then I will keep it going only so that I can reinstall some of the software that I have used for a while to run my business.

I will however still get a mac so that I can start traversing to the "other side".

Cheers.

Here is the page that descibes the problem I had. It only says that it is a problem with Vista and no mention of XP:

Upgrade stops responding (hangs) at 62% when you upgrade to Windows 7

I did this too:

The Windows Internet Explorer 7 installation program stops responding when you select the "Install the latest updates for Internet Explorer and the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (recommended)" check box

I pretty much did everything I could find on the internet relating to said problem. I'll check back again.

There is someone else whose install stops at 85% and are thinking he has some file or folder the install can't handle. Do you have any files or folders that you think might cause problems, such as an iTunes music library folder. I do not know iTunes in particular causes problems, just guessing.

It's not stopping at 85%, I would say closer to 60%. The percentage could be subjective because the installation doesnt give an actual percent number, just a bar at the bottom of the screen right? I have no programs installed. It was a wiped disk. I have a keyboard, monitor, mouse, 160 gig hardrive, 3 megs memory, dvd drive, 2.2 ghz celeron.

With XP, I had the cpu overclocked but I disabled that after the first time the installation failed.

1 dollar solution

Lol! I mean really...I'm lauphing out loud. It's not funny actually. It's more of a maniacle laugh than a happy kind of laugh.

Misery loves company. Thats why I am still here. I'm miserable, your miserable. We are all just one big miserable family trying to fix our problems.

1 million dollars. If you people can raise 1 million dollars I will fix this operating system that is called Windows 7.

It's not a lot of money really

Just 1 dollar from 1 million people.

If I cant fix it you are out only 1 dollar.

Sorry, I was just trying to bring a little levity to this whole situation with the stupid problems we are having.

But in all seriousness, if I get enouph support (cash), I will most certainly take it and call you from somewhere warm and let you know how to solve your problems.

That is 3 dollars less than the Latte' your going to buy tomorrow morning.

... Quite frankly, I thought you guys let me off easy. Except for Miss bye, bye. You young lady...It sounds like your a little feisty. I like 'em that way...

Please accept my apologies, droflex-- I thought you were a troll. I wish you the best of luck!

P. S. - Thanks for the "young lady" ref! :)

Back