Windows 8 This drives me Crazy!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I don't know why it does this all the time, I used to be able to drag things from folder to folder with no problems,

In Windows 8 I constantly have the folders in Windows Explorer move to a new position just as I release the mouse button to place the files in the new location.

The files end up going into whatever folder jumped to where I released, then I have to run search to find out where they went.

I know that this also happened in Windows 7 but not as much as it does in 8.
I wish the folder would just stay where they are until the mouse button is released.

I've gotten so that I use cut and paste or copy and paste instead of drag and dropping but I just tried to move a folder of sound files from my desktop to my MP3 folder on my data drive and they disappeared into one of the other music folders.

I had to find then, and then cut and paste then to the root directory.

Mike

Drag and Drop always has this potential incident that the files are dropped into a wrong folder.

I use .... right click at the file > select Copy To or Move To Folder > navigate to the desired folder > click either Copy or Move.
If you do not have Copy To or Move To options in your right click Context menu, use this tutorial......
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/516-context-menu-add-copy-folder-move-folder.html
** it's applicable to win 7 and win 8**
If you want to copy a file to another location, use Copy To.
If you want to relocate a file to another location, use Move To.

Use these 2 registry hacks I uploaded. They give you a Copy To Folder and Move To Folder option in your right-click options for files/folder's. Works fine for me on my 8.1 x64 desktop and laptop.

Attachments

• copyto_moveto.zip
    620 bytes · Views: 127
Back
Top Bottom