Windows 7 this is incredible i had bsod on my sony laptop and now sony replaced it and new one also has bsod

Do me a favor, when you get a chance and do a search on your C: drive for this
RtsPStor.sys
let us know if the search finds it and where, like C:\Windows\system32\drivers or where ever
Thanks
Randy

Well I did a search and the results were in four locations:
1.Windows/drivers/EXE/Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (Realtek)/DriverBin_32bit
2.Windows/System32/drivers
3.Windows/System32/DriverStore/FileRepository
4.Windows/Drivers/EXE/Memory Card Reader Writer Driver (Realtek)/DriverBin_64bit

PS. I attached three new dump files.

Find that driver
RtsPStor.sys
in C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder and rename it to RtsPStor.OLD
reboot the computer
go back and confirm that the driver RtsPStor.sys has not regenerated itself in the same location
if Blue Screens persist, open an elevated command prompt
click the start orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click and choose run as administrator
type chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer yes "Y" to the prompt and reboot
let it finish all five stages and let us know the results

Hi

Could you re-run the SF Diagnostic Tool and zip up a fresh copy and attach it please. Would like a current view of the devices and drivers in play.

Find that driver
RtsPStor.sys
in C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder and rename it to RtsPStor.OLD
reboot the computer
go back and confirm that the driver RtsPStor.sys has not regenerated itself in the same location
if Blue Screens persist, open an elevated command prompt
click the start orb->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt (right click and choose run as administrator
type chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer yes "Y" to the prompt and reboot
let it finish all five stages and let us know the results
After the change the problem persisted so I ran the chkdsk C; /R
It finished what know? Where do I check the results?

The information should have been present as to whether of not the chkdsk utility found any problems and was or was not able to fix / repair them right on the screen (monitor).
Do you have a new .dmp file from the "problem persisted"? If so please attach it to your next post.
Thanks
Randy

EDIT: The results should also be located in the event viewer. Try looking under Windows Logs, Application (Source, either Winlogon or Wininit I think)

Last edited:
I got another one right now, I am very tired of this; a new computer, that is very nice, but just I use it expecting and being afraid of another BSOD. I will take it tomorrow to sony, to see if they give me my money back or a whole new computer. I will tell you the results if I go tomorrow.

I will take the computer back to sony, I am very tired of this, just using the computer being afraid and expecting another BSOD. My aim is to get my money back or a new computer. Tell ya tomorrow what happens.
And thanks for all your help:Elmer, Randy, and nmsuk.
Really appreciate your help, it was a pleasure working with you guys.

Sincerely, John

John:
Can't say as I blame you. I think I would have been frustrated about 4 pages of posts back when they gave you the second computer which produced the same results. Maybe the third time will be the charm, but if you could get your money back I think I'd perhaps be looking for a different manufacturer. Maybe a Dell or even an HP. Just don't think I would keep trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Good luck tomorrow and yes, by all means, keep us posted on your adventure.
Regards
Randy

Best of luck to you John,

I'm with Randy on this one, but as he says maybe 3rd time lucky!! (???)

You shouldn't have had all this grief but looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Best of luck to you John,

I'm with Randy on this one, but as he says maybe 3rd time lucky!! (???)

You shouldn't have had all this grief but looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Hey this is a small update on wha happened I took it today and they told me the were gonna run some analisis and chech the computers programming without the ney installed memory thnking of a bad memory batch. The thing is they called me like an hour later through phone and told me I inserted the exteranl drive on Novembrr 29 they accused me of doing somethimg I didnt do. Im saying the truth and the only thngs I have done on the computer is what we hVe been doing. I obviosluy rejected this. And they told me the had proof and they were gonna show me it when they finish the computer and told me that I also downloaded a 207mg file from internet. On that day (Nov29) we didnt download anythg but to be sincere I think that was the day I eownloaded the Realtek driver. They say they supposed to charge for this because finding and eliminating a virus is not covered by warranty. Right now In ver mad, anain reason is I havent had a computer for weeks and right now I have a university investigation due December 10 in a hotel, i am wasting time with this problem.

Well I suppose if they have the type of documentation regarding your attaching the USB drive (with the virus?) as well as you having downloaded whatever from the internet. Then they will also be able to provide similar documentation as to date(s), specific file name as well as the nature of the infecting virus that they intend to charge you for removing. Something other that their word that that is the problem.
And I would presume that you will be able to boot up the computer in their presence and be able to successfully operate the computer error free (without BSODs) performing normal tasks that have in the recent past produced Blue Screen errors on the computer.
If all that is in evidence then it will be difficult for you to prove that you were not complicit in re-infecting the PC with the virus that is evidently resident on your external USB drive, especially if the file ("university investigation due December 10") only exists on the infected external drive or other external resource which might also contain the infected file.
There are any number of software apps that will allow them to see any USB devices that have been attached to the computer. View any installed/connected USB device on your system is one such product.
Keep us posted as to the final outcome
Regards
Randy

Ok I understand your point I forgot to clarify that they told me that they are supposed to charge but thet will not charge. The investition is most likely infected as you say I have lost 30gb of documentation stored in the external drive and yes I would LOVE to see the proof that i used the external drive the computer I totally wanna see it. And the technician concluded that at the beginning when she kept trying to find somethng in the external drive she said that the trojan was in an office2007 Hidden file. But well lets see what happens.
-John Fortis

Although I'm not doubting the technicians statements. I'd still want a name for this Trojan. Wouldn't have to be it's specific name, a generic name would do for me.

Ok an employee called me to say that the computer is ready, but if the computer gets BSOD again, they are going to charge me for the work if I take it back to sony. My doubt is as Randy said, they must have a document that confirms that I am the cause of the problem for inserting a trojan to the computer, I ask if there was a trojan in the external drive can they prove to me that the trojan is the cause of the recent BSOD if it really passed to the computer, I say this because I HAVE used this drive in other computers(my wife's computer and the house desktop),and they both have nothing, no troubles. If a Trojan had passed, why are the other computers okay then? How can they prove that I have a virus in the computer since they only found it in the drive not in the computer??

Regards,
John

Last edited:
Did you get the actual name of the reported file (virus/malware)?
Depending on the code and the attack vector the other machines may not be infected or may be infected but not exhibiting symptoms and regardless should probably be scanned. Without adding additional confusion or complications to the issue the problem may be coming from the USB external drive (or any attached storage device) or could just as easily be coming from networking your PC with another that is infected.
So it's important that you take everything into consideration and whatever Anti Virus Anti Malware product you decide to ultimately use you make sure that it is updated with current signatures and includes both Virus and Malware protection. And avoid connecting your PC to any suspect networks or devices until you are certain that any such avenue of infection has been rendered harmless. This may require that you employ the services of someone with professional skills and the requisite tools to help you.

Back
Top Bottom