Windows Vista Times New Roman font displaying as Segoe UI

niftydrumdude

For some reason or another, my Times New Roman font is completely busted. Although the font appears on all of my font lists, every time I select it, I get the Segoe UI font. This ONLY happens for Times New Roman!

TRIED:
-Reinstalling the font (taken from another Windows 7 computer)
-System Restore
-the /regc thing in Command Prompt
-several different word processors (even Google Docs!)

I desparately need this font for work projects, but every time I select Times New Roman, I get Segoe UI! I know Segoe UI is the default Windows 7 system font, so it might have something to do with that...
HELP!!

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I also just discovered that the TNR font is completely missing from my fonts folder, despite being displayed on the font list in all of my word processors.
When I try to reinstall it, it asks me if I want to overwrite TNR since it's "already installed". When I re-install it, it still doesn't show up. What the heck...?

Have you done anything to change the fonts?

If you go to control panel and Fonts, then Times New Roman and open, do you see the attached? When you right click and select preview, what happens?

You said you tried the SFC /scannow command in the Administrative command window?

Link Removed due to 404 Error

No, I do not see that. TNR is nowhere to be found. When I try to install the TNR I took from a different Win7 pc, it still doesn't show up. Do you have any idea why it's not showing up in the Fonts folder?

And yes, I did try sfc /scannow.

did you try and run diagnostics?

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
Click Resources.
Diagnose, click Continue, and then click Start Diagnostics.

oh oops i thought it was 07 will then use detect and repair which was before diagnostics in 07

On-demand detect and repair

To run the Detect and Repair feature in your Office programs, follow these steps:
  1. Start an Office program.
  2. On the Help menu, click Detect and Repair.
  3. In the Detect and Repair dialog box, do any of the following:
    • Click to select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing check box. By default, this check box is selected. If you select the Restore my shortcuts while repairing option, Detect and Repair will keep your custom Office shortcuts. If you do not select this option, Detect and Repair will remove your custom Office shortcuts.
    • Click to select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings check box. If you select the Discard my customized settings and restore default settings option, Detect and Repair will set the following back to the state that they appeared in when you first installed Office:
      • The Assistant character selection.
      • Most-recently-used entries on the File menu will be removed.
      • The size of the program window for all programs.
      • Menu and toolbar position and any customizations.
      • The security level for each program.
      • View settings in the program, such as the Calendar view in Outlook.
      • You must re-enter your User Name and Initials when you restart your Office programs.
  4. Click Start.
  5. Click Ignore if the Close Office Programs dialog box displays the following message (where program is any Office program that is currently running): In order to correctly pick up or restore your settings, the following programs must be closed:
    Microsoft program
  6. After the repair process has completed, click OK to the following message where edition is the version of Office that you have installed (for example, Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003): Microsoft Office edition Setup completed successfully.

You probably don't have the orginal cd right you could unistall and reinstall Office that might work.

yeah it should completly remove it restart the computer then reinstall the data just might have gotten corrupted

This may not work, but check anyway. Go to the following folder on your system. Be aware, the actual path may be altered in this post, but you should be the idea. Or try searching for times.ttf. There are also backups in Windows\winsxs\Backup.

C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-f..etype-timesnewroman_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_dd45dd1afaaad8e7

If you find the folder and it is empty, try adding a file called times.ttf. If it is already there or you can add it, try right clicking on it and selecting "restore previous". If this works, it may replace all the Times New Roman files, if not, add the following and do the same.
timesbd.ttf
timesbi.ttf
timesi.ttf

You might also try a subsitute font in Word to see if it will use the Times font.
CG Times (W1)
New York
Times
Times Roman

Back