Windows 7 Too many Program Files Folders

don cole

After copy a lot copying file from my old computer to new Windows7 computer. I must have
messed up because I now have in my c: drive:

c:\Program Files 6/20/2010 4:27 PM
c:\Program Files 6/20/2010 3:01 PM
c:\Program Files(x86) 6/20/2010 1:50 AM

How can I fix this?

Don Cole

Do you have Windows 7 x64? If so, it does have both folders c:\Program Files(x86)and c:\Program Files.

You can copy data but you are not supposed to copy Program Files. Install the software you need but do not copy Program Files from one system to another.

There may be an addition listing is you have some type of archive, like a Windows.old folder. Are these just listed in explorer or are you searching for them?

But it looks like the names include the dates to keep them separate. If you are trying to keep from having to reinstall programs it will probably not work.

Last edited:
Cyborcore

Do you have Windows 7 x64?

Yes.

You can copy data but you are not supposed to copy Program Files. Install the software you need but do not copy Program Files from one system to another.

That is exactly what I have done. How can I correct it?

I don't mind having Program Files and Program Files(x86)

But I do mind having 2 Progeam Files Folders (one at 4:27 am and one at 3:01 am). As this is messing me up. I don't know where to download new programs. Or where to find old ones?

Thank you.

Don Cole

Done Cole said:

That is exactly what I have done. How can I correct it?

But I do mind having 2 Progeam Files Folders (one at 4:27 am and one at 3:01 am). As this is messing me up.

In your drive C:\, do you have two folders with the exact name 'Program Files'? (Is this possible?) Or is one inside the other?

There's no harm in having the two folders, it is the waste of your hdd space if one of them has a lot of software that doesn't work.

How to correct it:

Look in the properties of each 'Program Files' for the exact date the folder was created - you can delete the one you copied. But please check carefully before deleting it.

Where to download software:

Freeware soft is distributed freely, you can download it from developers' home pages. You can use search and forums to find what you need.

You can download commercial software if you have the license, or you can use a limited or shareware version of that. Or find a freeware alternative.

Back
Top Bottom