Transfer Operating System from DVD to USB

SMD

Hi all,

I'm new and not very tech capable.

I have just received a new laptop with a Windows 10 Pro Operating System DVD - however my new laptop does not have an optical drive.

Can I copy the DVD onto a USB stick on my desktop which is running Windows 10 and use it to upgrade the new laptop which arrived with Windows 7.

I have already tried the direct download but keep getting to 99% and then eventually the screen disappears.

Many thanks.

Thank you Kemical. The article states that I must have "# A working Windows 7/8/8.1 PC" but I am running Windows 10 on the desktop I wish to use to create the USB, will that change the command prompts etc?

Thank you Kemical. The article states that I must have "# A working Windows 7/8/8.1 PC" but I am running Windows 10 on the desktop I wish to use to create the USB, will that change the command prompts etc?
I had a look through and you should be fine. Any problems post back.

On the direct W10 download from Microsoft, did you remember to disable any and all antivirus or antispyware programs prior to attempting the W10 upgrade? This is one of the leading causes for my customer's who try to do the DIY thing on W10 upgrade. The AV or AS has components that will see the W10 installation components as suspicious and halt the installation process.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

The probable reason why the download stopped at 99% is you didn't have a full compliment of Windows Updates necessary to do the upgrade.
I have yet to see any computer delivered that ever was fully updated ,and that has happened to me a few times.

Back