Windows 7 Trouble with installation

gethien

Hello. I have been trying for quite some time to get win 7 to install on my computer. I tried the beta when it came out and I couldn't get it to work, so I thought it was just b/c it was beta. I have since built a new computer and purchased the full version of win 7-64 bit and I am having the same problem that I was having with the beta. I am doing a clean install, loading from the win 7 cd. I get as far as completing the install and then the computer has to reboot. When it reboots I get the message, "starting windows" and then all I get is a black screen and then it eventually will shut itself off again. I have let it sit for as long as 35 minutes before the computer just shuts itself off.
Sorry if this is a double post, I have seen the problem else where but never saw if one of the many ways to fix it worked. Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated :)

Computer stats:
asus p6x58d premium (with most recent bios)
intel core i7
corsair dominator gt 6gm ddr3 1866
segate barracuda 7200.12 1tb
creative soundblaster x-fi titanium fatal1ty champion

From what I have read (No personal experience) I would diasble/remove the sound card and try again. Soundblasters seem to have a mind of their own with Windows 7.
What graphiics card? They are sometimes problematic.

EVGA-Geforce 8800GT 512MB

Also using Logitec Keyboard and mouse

Last edited:
I took out the sound card and disabled the onboard audio...I got past the first reboot that I was getting hung up on only to get hung up on the second reboot with the same black screen.

Sounds like you might need to upgrade the system bios? Are you running the latest version?

I too think upgrading bios is the chance,

Link Removed - Invalid URL

( You can also check hardware settings in your bios setup, especially those related to VGA and HDD )

As you have got as far as the the second boot, I seriously doubt the bios as being a problem. can you attempt a safe boot at that stage? Maybe worth a shot? Obviously you cannot disable both, but try a normal boot without the mouse also.

I too missed this line:

I remember trying to get to work a similar latest hi-end creative (X-Fi Xtreme Audio) sb and it wouldn't work on my motherboard (ASUS P5Q-EM Do). I tested everything on XP system and the system would boot fine anyway. I spent about 2 days and no luck. Both my mb bios and the sb were all latest and up-to-date. I ended up with the onboard sound. I don't know if it was x-fi titanium fatal1ty champion that caused the problem too before it was taken out by gethien, just telling about my case.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

The reasons for getting a black screen during the upgrade could me many. It could be a hardware problem, a driver problem or multiple video output issue.

- Restart your PC in safe mode (F8) and select Enable low-resolution 640Ă—480 video option. See if it helps to boot the system.

- The video output may have switched to an alternate port, when the driver was re-installed during online configuration . So please check formultiple video ports on your computer.

- Please also check for display output during BIOS POST. If the POST logo or text is not being displayed on-screen then the issue could be with thehardware.

- Boot the computer in safe mode by pressing F8 on restart. You may receive a message, on restart, that
Windows could not complete the installation. Open command prompt, type devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open the Device Manager. Here disable Display Adapter. On restart, the installation should complete OK. Do remember to update the Display Adapter settings again, later.

- If you have a second monitor, unplug it, from your graphic card and see if it helps.

- If your video card has two DVI outputs, try plugging the monitor into the one you’re not currently using.

@gethien, please let us know how it goes, your trouble-shooting experience can be of big help to many users with similar problems.

Well, I got it to work but I have to disable the video card in the device manager. I tried installing new drivers for the video card and then enabled the card, but the system had to reboot and every time I have to reboot it goes straight to the black screen. Only way to get it to work it to disable the video card. My video card is:

EVGA-Geforce 8800GT 512MB
Computer stats:
intel core i7
corsair dominator gt 6gm ddr3 1866
segate barracuda 7200.12 1tb
Logitec USB mouse and keyboard

1. Make sure your video card is properly installed in the motherboard. I'm sure it is but just in case.

2. Adjust your BIOS configurations for the video card, like Bios setup => primary graphics card => change from onboard video => to PCI VGA card, etc. (Sorry, don't have my bios setup at hand right now)

( As for the latest drivers, I noticed before that not necessarily the latest driver version was the best compatible for my card. )

Yes, the video card is properly installed. I also tried it in all 3 PCI x slots and the same thing would happen. I agree with the video card drivers thing. I used earlier versions when I was using Vista but with a new Win7 x64 install I have yet to figure out what works best with it. I will try installing differant drivers but Im thinking the issue might be with the MB and the BIOS settings. I will try a few things that you suggested with older drivers and try and figure out where in the BIOS to go to change the settings. This MB has a ton of stuff in the BIOS, more then Im used to seeing and still working on getting familiar with it. I will post a new message with results. Thanks again for everyones help and suggestions.

Yes, the video card is properly installed. I also tried it in all 3 PCI x slots and the same thing would happen. I agree with the video card drivers thing. I used earlier versions when I was using Vista but with a new Win7 x64 install I have yet to figure out what works best with it. I will try installing differant drivers but Im thinking the issue might be with the MB and the BIOS settings. I will try a few things that you suggested with older drivers and try and figure out where in the BIOS to go to change the settings. This MB has a ton of stuff in the BIOS, more then Im used to seeing and still working on getting familiar with it. I will post a new message with results. Thanks again for everyones help and suggestions.

Most motherboards either come with a manual or you can download one from the manufacturers website. This will contain details as to what your bios settings do and how to change them.

I went through the ASUS manual and only found 2 spots to change PCIE settings. One was PCIE Spread Spectrum to set to Disable to enhance PCIE overclocking ability or Auto for EMI control and Disable. I tried all 3 options but did not help. The other PCIE setting was to change the PCIE slots 2 & 3 to 16x & 1x mode or 8x & 8x mode. Am in the process of downloading all the archive drivers for the video card and will take awhile to go through them all. I seemed to have made a tiny bit of progress when I rebooted and hit F8 and went into "Enable Low Resolution Video (640x480) and went into windows to install video drivers and went to reboot and it actually went into Windows for a couple seconds before the screen blacked out. Anyways, that was the first time I'd been able to at least SEE Windows while booting up in normal mode without having the video card disabled or going in through F8-Low Res mode. Will take some time to go through all the video drivers so I probably wont be able to post my progress until tomorrow. I sure hope something works, this is rediculous.

Cant get my printer to work either. HP doesnt have the drivers I need yet to make it work.

Anyone know if there's an appointment calendar to use in Win7? I used the one in Win Vista frequently and cant seem to find one in the Win7 setup. :\

Last edited:
I know there's a calender if you click on the task bar clock but I don't think you can mark it.. I'm not sure if there's an actual appointment calender by default but I'm sure there's a desktop gadget you could use...

Thanks kemical. Yeah I saw the task bar one. Was hoping there would be an appointment one like the one in Vista. I've gone through some different drivers and so far Im thinking that I can only boot up into Windows when the resolution is at 640x480 and when its any higher the screen goes black. Still working on it though. Its been very frustrating. Wondering if I'll just have to save up to buy a more recent video card :\

I'm not familiar with that MOBO but I've the P6T and had a very similar issue. I had to remove all the memory sticks except one, do the install, then add them back in one at a time with a reboot between. Since then its been rock solid. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom