Windows 7 Turbo your IE8

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
I have just came across this in the technet forums. Most are claiming a dramatic improvement in IE8. A few have had no noticeable change.
Open a command prompt and enter this
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
reboot.

P.S. Later.
There has been a follow up,before you plunge in. This guy is obviously a programming expert. I would also add that there is no way to succesfully remove it again, without ruining your IE8 installation:
"Regsvr32 is a very simple tool that simply loads a binary and calls its DllRegisterServer, DllUnregisterServer, or DllInstall function, depending on the switch you pass it.
I sat down and spent some time disassembling actxprxy.dll… and to no surprise the DllRegisterServer function simply calls NdrDllRegisterProxy with a bunch of interfaces to register. I also conducted a few experiments. First, I exported portions of my registry to file and tried re-registering the DLL. After re-registration, I used WinMerge to compare the two files and noticed zero (relevant) changes. Second, I tried unregistering the DLL. Internet Explorer immediately malfunctioned and ultimately ceased to work at all, indicating the library had to have already been registered.
As a result of some pretty simple testing, I’ve come to the conclusion that reports of success with this wanna-be tweak are no more reliable than the average Bigfoot sighting. That is, people see what they want to see. I did hear from a reader, however, that adding /prefetch:1 to your Internet Explorer shortcut speeds things up wonderfully. *grin*"

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought i'd give this a quick try. I get a RegSvr32 error.

"The module "actxprxy.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8007005."

I took a chance and loaded it, but I cannot see any difference in the performance of IE8.
Did you use small case throughout? Your post shows a capital??

I took a chance and loaded it, but I cannot see any difference in the performance of IE8.
Did you use small case throughout? Your post shows a capital??

Yeah, ran the command exactly as it was written above in lowercase;

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Just get the following error;

Link Removed - Invalid URL

What build of Windows 7 are you running..? 7068..?

No idea what this is all about. But regsvr32 needs to be run from an admin command prompt. (ie right click command prompt in start menu and run as admin)

Back
Top Bottom