Windows 10 Turn on anti-ransomware features in (Build 1709) Fall Creators Update

A new setting which stops ransomware from taking control of your folders has been added to the Fall Creator update.
This is accessed using Windows Defender and won't work with third party security applications.

To turn it on follow my screenshots below:
ransom1.jpg

Click the arrowed setting:

ransom2.jpg

Simply move the slider across to turn it on. You can also see which folders are being protected and if need be whitelist certain folders should the need arise.
As to whether it impacts on daily use remains to be seen. I've had it turned on for the last hour or so and not noticed any slow downs or a flurry of pop up messages.

Further information on the new changes within Defender (including the above) can be found here:
Windows Defender Exploit Guard: Reduce the attack surface against next-generation malware

Last edited:
I've had a pop up as it didn't like the idea of a game writing to a folder.

Dishonored 2 has a built in screenshot application called 'Ansel' which saves to a folder it creates in your Videos folder.

I've since added the game to the whitelist, which is extremely easy to do, so for now at least I'll keep the controlled folder access switched on.

The ransomware protection is pretty basic right now. I do have a quite a few ransomware samples, maybe if I'm not lazy I can test them out in a VM.

THAT vy selegh on .This idea has already been in mind when some updates required them.

Last edited:
HI Ool Sit AIM SORRY IA NOT LOOK HOU THAT IS ENGLIS TRANSLATION GIWEN SIT. DEAPLY SORRY PEOPLE "
kemical "
Regarsd Rapaaja

Last edited:
In that 1.25.2020 I stated my machine is under: Digital Law Enforcement Right. Not my account so I downloaded Win 10 again 29.1 The old one went to a cheap bug so my account changed to Alias mode. The reason in the summer I changed hdd> ssd no blank for that sit WIN 10iso Fresh I logged into my personal account with my beloved I guessed wrong (Digital rights usage right)
Read and understand what you read. This story does not prevent age from learning over time
Thank you RAPAAJA

Enables Virus Protection Defender also to maintain your device when updates are supposed to work.

Back