Windows 8 Turning off wifi

derohanes

I have a Dell Windows 8 desktop unit. When I was setting it up I turned on WiFi until I could get the hardwire connection ready. I now want to turn off the wifi, but I can't figure it out. One place tells me to hold the function key and hit F2, but nothing happens. I don't know if nothing happens or if I've toggled it off and on - no indication. Another site tells me to go to the settings and select the "WiFi connection," but clicking on the gear does not show me any such option. I tried the control panel, but no connectivity icons are there. So, how do I check the status, and how do I turn it off.

You should be able to go to the desktop, and by the clock find the networking symbol (should look like curved lines over a dot) and right click and see options.

Go to the Control Panel - Device Manager.
Click "Network Adapters"

There you should see your Wireless Adapter. Right click it and click "Disable"

Welcome to Windows8Forums.com :)
What model is your PC? It's possible that you may need a small utility to run alongside Windows in order to use the Fn key to disable Wi-Fi. Post your model and I'll do some digging around.

Welcome to Windows8Forums.com :)
What model is your PC? It's possible that you may need a small utility to run alongside Windows in order to use the Fn key to disable Wi-Fi. Post your model and I'll do some digging around.
indeed, win8 automatically detected my shortcut keys and i can use Fn+F3 to toggle my wifi

no extra programs needed!

Back