Windows 7 Unable to boot Windows 7--bootmgr is missing

basutado

No changes were made since last boot.

Attempted to follow instructions posted here:
windows 7 bootmgr is missing-- resolved using WinRE - Microsoft Answers

Method 1: Message states a fix was made.
Root cause found: The partition table does not have a valid System Partition.
Repair action: Partition table repair
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
However, problem persists after reboot. The wizard indicated that multiple reboots may be necessary, but the wizard does not restart after reboot.​

Method 2: Attempted to use Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
Attempted to use Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
Attempted to use Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

Attempted to export and delete the BCD.
The command bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup returned:
The store export operation has failed.
The requested system device cannot be found.​

Method 3: When I attempt a system restore, it errors with:

To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore.​

When I view the System Recovery Options dialog box, no Windows installation drives are listed.

In addition, when I view the C: drive in the DOS window (my Windows installation drive), that drive lists as empty.​

What were you doing that caused the boot problem? It would help to know.
Joe

The bootmgr is on the system partition. If it says it is missing, then the correct location is not being identified during the boot or that location is no longer available.

Things that might cause such a problem:

Corruption
virus
Removing a hard drive with the boot file (may not be same hard drive as OS).
Putting another hard drive with an active partition as primary in the bios.
and probably some others.

Normally booting to the Install DVD and selecting Repair in the second window, then doing a Startup Repair 3 or 4 times fixes the problem. The repair sequence does not restart itself for the multiple runs, you have to do that. But the repair will fix certain things on each run, and depending one what was wrong, the system will boot when and if the repair is sufficient.

There have been times when someone installed Windows 7 and the system partition was put on a different physical drive than the OS. In such cases, if the System partition is missing then the repair cannot seem to make another partition active to complete a repair.

If you can't get it to work, you might download the free version of Partition Wizard or G-Parted to look at the drive configuration. If you could get a picture, that would be great.

I have a thought that, if restore cannot see amny OS's, then the startup repair option on the originalæ installation disk may have the same problem. But ref yr "when I view the C: drive in the DOS window (my Windows installation drive), that drive lists as empty", is there possibly another partition which seems like it may have the OS on it?
If so, I would go for using EasyBcd , a free progarm, and attempt to reinstate the correct partition and start menu.

Back
Top Bottom