Windows 7 Unable to connect to network

Chriapy1

If this has been covered before I’m sorry and could you direct me to where I can find the answer.

I’ve just installed Windows 7 Build 7100 and I’m having problems with my network. I can connect to the internet with no problem, but not to my laptop. The laptop is running Vista. My main PC running Windows 7 is wired to the router a Linksys WRT54GS, the laptop is connected wireless.
When I open the network and sharing window it shows my network is public. If I click "set up a new connection or network", a window opens saying choose the wireless router or access point you want to configure. But nothing is shown not even my router.
Can anyone help please?

Try looking in Control Panel > Device Manager and see if any entry is marked with a yellow flag.

Also could you give us more detailed information on your laptop.

Go to Start, Run, and type in msinfo32

This free utility provides more detailed information.
SIV (System Information Viewer) 3.36

Finally, Please fill out your computers specs in the User Control Panel here on the site as well. It will then appear next to your name. look at my posting and you'll see the drop-down arrow.

I’ve updated my profile with PC details, (ok don’t knock it when I get a job I’m going to build a new one).
I’ve checked device manager nothing flagged.

The laptop is an Advent 8117
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Intel Calistoga
Intel Pentium Dual-Core T2080 1.73GHz
2GB RAM
Hitachi HTS541612J9SA00 120GB HDD
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A
Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
RT73 USB Wireless LAN Card (Port_#0003.Hub_#0005)
I think that’s all

Thanks for the details.

the first thing I should have asked you was:

Are you using the Homegroup to connect?

Does the wired connection work?

Not using Homegroup
The wired connection works thats what I'm using. This computer is wired to the router which is wired to the cable modem.

Have you gone to Advanced System Sharing in the Network and Sharing center and verified all radio buttons are set to ON?

Click on "what is network discovery" and verify that those services are all running (set to Automatic)

Have you enabled password protection on your router or tried resetting the router?

You can also go to Help and Support and type in "connect now", then click the first result for networking two PC's with different operating systems.

I don't know whats happend, but I hav'nt touched a single thing since yesterday. I turned both computers on and everything connected.
I can share files and even the printer's shared.
Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom