Windows 7 Unable to install all of "Windows updates"

silverman

Honorable Member
For several months I have had problems each day when asked to install "Windows Updates", some days I get 4 or 5 updates or more, for a long time it installed all except one. This has now expanded so I have three updates that will not install for some reason. It creates a restore point then tries and fails each time. I am using Norton Antivirus and have even disabled that, but I still can get the updates to install. I have never had this problem before. I also have a laptop and another PC computer that has done these updates, so why problems with this one? It's driving me crazy.

I am enclosing a copy of the error message I get together with the list of failed attempts (only recent ones). I would appreciate any help please.

My Computer Spec is:-
Desktop PC - Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)
MS Office version 2010 (using Outlook and IMAP)
Motherboard: ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX
PROCESSOR: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Part NoBX80557E6850 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz Socket 775 4MB Cache 1333MHz FSBRetail Boxed Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3GHz Socket 775 4MB Cache1333MHz FSB Retail Boxed Processor - Motherboard(socket 775 Intel)
Innovision GeForce 7600GS 512MB DDR2 PCI-E GraphicsCard, manufacturer No: 512-P2-E773-AR. FireWire Card.
Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 HyperXMemory CL5 2.2V
Western Digital WD1500AHFD 1 x 150GB (use as “C”drive).
Western Digital WD5000AAKS 1 x 500GB SATA II 7200RPM WD Raptor 16MBCache:
1 x Western Digital 1 x 750GB HD SATA300 7200rpm 32MB Cache Caviar Black OEM:

1 x CD/DVD 1 x Pioneer DVR 215BK - GJDP018517WL
1 x CD/DVD 1 x Pioneer DVR - 115DBK - GJDP104026WL
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium
MS Office version 2010

Attachments

• error 011011.GIF
    error 011011.GIF
    15.1 KB · Views: 496
  • failed updates 011011.GIF
    failed updates 011011.GIF
    176.2 KB · Views: 567
check time and date first is set correct. i remember mine failed for that reason , im not saying its at fault but its a basic start

check for previous updates before this, some uipdates wont install untill others have completed. some updates also require a reboot between installation

My history ofupdates only goes back to 03/01/11 and this is the copy of that:-

Interesting to see that

The first failure on this list was "Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office2010 (KB2510690) 32-bit Edition. This never showed up as being Successful andhas not been listed since 06.08.11

Further failures followed this however

Attachments

• failed updates 011011_oldest.GIF
    failed updates 011011_oldest.GIF
    89.2 KB · Views: 529
try updating this from the microsofts site instead of the update then try the updates via the updates on the control panel

I tried installing a copy of Norton's Internet Security that came with my motherboard. I have never seen such a mess in regard to updates. For me to even get SP1 to install (trial install only) I had to shutdown real time and any boot options. Basically I shut down everything I could in that protection scheme.

Aside from that, there is a WindowsUpdate.log in the Windows directory you might zip and attach. There are also a ReportingEvents.log in the Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and if you have a failed install, there may be an individual log file for it. Search for the KB number.log, although the one I had I could not get much from it.

If you can zip those and attach using the paperclip, it might help us see what is going on.

One thing I will say in advance, the internet connection is very important with these updates.

Hi Kaos, I did a check last light and MS showed 10 updates the first one being 1.0Gb (will take over an hour to carry out).

This is the list of those listed: (Sorry can't find a way to zip these files).

I have started on the first one - is it best to do a re-boot after each one or just work my way throught the list. I am not saving them just clicked on "Open", my connection is not normnally a problem.

Attachments

• downliad list 021011.GIF
    downliad list 021011.GIF
    41 KB · Views: 434
What exactly is the list of downloads you show in your attachment. It contains downloads for different bit versions of Windows and different CPU types...? I actually see 7 pertinent downloads and 6 are language packs.

And you do know about the Microsoft Catalog update site?

Microsoft Update Catalog

To zip a file all you do is right click it and select send to - Compressed (zip) folder.

Hi kaos, You said download (KB976932) from :-
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows 7and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932) (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5842)

When I go to the site it shows three versions of this, which one should I use?

1. windows6.1-KB976932-IA64.exe511.0 MB
2. windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe903.0 MB
3. windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe537.0 MB

When I capture an images I can't find a way to zip this, certainly a right click does not give me that option as Saltgrass has suggested.

Going back to my origional posting each time I start my computer it wants to install the same updates, some times new ones are installed but the following never install, and end up with an error message. It all started with the MS office update failure. (Back in une/July)

This is the current list of updates not being installed:-

1. Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2510690) 32-bit Edition
Download size: 58.2 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Important
Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2510690) 32-bit Edition contains new updates which improve security, performance, and stability. Additionally, the SP is a roll-up of all previously released updates.
More information:

2. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2539636)
Download size: 3.6 MB
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain access to information. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

3. Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2536276)
Download size: 409 KB
A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

4. Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2468871)
Download size: 27.5 MB
Update type: Recommended
Install this update to resolve issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2533523)
Download size: 37.5 MB
Update type: Recommended
This update addresses stability, reliability, and performance issues in Microsoft .NET Framework 4. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

Perhaps I don't need all the above.

My lap top installed :- Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2510690) 32-bit Edition
Download size: 58.2 MB First time, but my PC just won't have it. Both have the same sort of set-up and with thye same Norton Anti-virus programme.

If running a 64bit system, most likely #2. If 32bit (x86) #3. Do the downloads one at a time (especially the Windows SP1). Then do any further system updates in groups, say of 3, 4 or 5. Just pick a convenient number to split the total by. As has been said, some updates will depend on others already being installed, if they fail, think of a line of dominoes toppling.

Hi,

I downloaded #2 as suggested, I turned off my Norton antivirus then after the long download tried the installation. Almost immediately I received the message below:-

I am wondering why I should need to install this as I am already running Windows 7 with service pack 1. (it's 64 bit).

Any other suggestions.

Attachments

• installation not successful 031011.JPG
    installation not successful 031011.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:
Hi all, I have spent most of the morning trying to install the updates as listed below. I have tried installing them one at a time, but no success.

I did switch off my Norton Antivirus.

Could it be a problems with the MS Office 2010?

It's such a nuisance every day when I am asked to install updates and these never get installed. As I have said before my Laptop did all the updates with no problems (weeks ago).

Any suggestions will be appreciated

This is the total copy of the updates I am having problems with:-

Attachments

• Unabletoinstall_051011.zip
    159.1 KB · Views: 240
I highly suggest that you run the Link Removed - Invalid URL utility if you cannot install Windows Updates. This is usually standard procedure, because if system files are corrupted, or do not match for the updates, you will start seeing rejected updates. See also: Troubleshoot problems with installing updates

Thank you Mike, I will do some back ups first then give it a go during the weekend. I will repoort back as soon as possible. I hope it works.

Hi Mike,

As soon as I clicked on System File Integrity Check, it loaded a website that Ihave seen before and had a lot of problems with, it says it's free but I recallit's limited to the number of errors it will correct without paying. I checkedthe web and the general opinion is NOT recommended to use it.

I seem to recall that I could not get rid of it last time, so not too keen totry again. Can you give me any assurances about this?

As I said I am not happy to install "Registry Booster" again.

Any other comments from others would be appreciated

It's done it again, I see my email above has added a link on my word e r r o s automatically, I don't like this. It's a feature build in to this Forum of so I will use it again

Back