Windows 7 Unable to install all of "Windows updates"

Given any more thought to attaching the logs I asked about? The WindowsUpdate.log will probably have to be copied to another location, like the desktop. Then right click and send to compressed file and attach.

Hi Saltgrass, are yiou askiung me to send you a copy of tyhe complete liusting of my "Review your update history" It's rather large and I cant finf a weay of copying it. It runs from 03.07.11 to 09.10.11. Todays entry show six Failed attempsalone. Doing a right click only alows me to copy one failed attempt only.

You need the download second from the bottom the 903mb one :)

Nevermind mad moment of not reading the whole thread *blushes*

Last edited:
It is always better to have the entire file, and you can zip it and send it to me by e-mail if you like.

If you feel it is too large for the forum, just copy the last few days and paste into notepad and attach that.

Hi Saltgrass, that's the problem - I can select and copy the list, I don't get a right click option to do this,

Hi nmsuk,

I have just realised what you were saying, I did this last week and I got an error message as shown below

Attachments

• installation not successful 031011.JPG
    installation not successful 031011.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 406
It is always better to have the entire file, and you can zip it and send it to me by e-mail if you like.

If you feel it is too large for the forum, just copy the last few days and paste into notepad and attach that.

The only way I can do this is by using Capture - see below - it's the latest page.

I will check for replies tomorrow.

Thanks all - I have an early start tomorrow.

Attachments

• Capture review your update history 101011.JPG
    Capture review your update history 101011.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 453
Hi nmsuk, I am sure that I uised this before the first time I installed Windows 7 (some time ago now), so thought I would do it again as you suggested. I downloaded the file Windows 6.1-KB947821-v14-x64.msu then tried to run it as per the instructions. I then received a message:-

Windows cant open this file:

File: Windows6.1-KB947821-v14-x64.msu

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program yoiu want to use to open it etc .............

I selected the option "Use the web service to find the correct programme.

It came up with quite a large list of suggestions, all look as it it's going to charge me for this installation, this cant be correct is it?

What do you suggest, I have already spent the last hours on getting this far.

Silverman, it appears to me you do not yet understand what the WindowsUpdate.log is. As you can tell by the designation, it is a file, not some listing of Windows Updates. The file is located in the Windows folder. Copy it to the desktop to work on it.

So there is no confusion, I have attached a small file containing some WindowsUpdate.log entries.

Attachments

• Example Log.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 329
Silverman, it appears to me you do not yet understand what the WindowsUpdate.log is. As you can tell by the designation, it is a file, not some listing of Windows Updates. The file is located in the Windows folder. Copy it to the desktop to work on it.

So there is no confusion, I have attached a small file containing some WindowsUpdate.log entries.

Hi Saltgrass, Sorry I am a bit slow, I see the log you are looking for, I have opened it in notepad and saved it in MS Word - It's 968 pages long!!!

What part would you like me to send? (Post on this site)?

I am now going on to try to running the two files that "nmsuk" suggested I download (he sent me the links). I did not get in till late yesterday and it took a couply of hours to download these files. When I downloaded these files before mine would not run. I will report back shortly when I have tried them.

It's shouldn't charge you. I'll get the direct links to the files you need.

Update readiness tool open the .msu like this View attachment 16693

Service Pack 1

Hi nmsuk, I have downloaded the "Update readiness tool" and "Service Pack 1" to my desk top already to run. I clicked on "Update readiness tool" and straight away I received a message box (see below)

I dont have the option you suggested:- "Windows Update Strandalone Installer (default)". I have done a search of my computer and can't find it. Do I need to dolwnload the installer to my computer? if so from where?

I can't get anywhere at the moment.

Attachments

• What programme.GIF
    What programme.GIF
    33.3 KB · Views: 490
Hi Saltgrass, Sorry I am a bit slow, I see the log you are looking for, I have opened it in notepad and saved it in MS Word - It's 968 pages long!!!

What part would you like me to send? (Post on this site)?
For the site's sake, you can copy and paste the last 4 days of the log and attach it as a .txt file.

If you want to sent it to me, that would be OK since I do accept e-mail according to my forum settings and you could send the entire file.

Do not open it in Word, just notepad.

I took a quick look @ the attachment you included of the failed updates & noticed a long list mentioning .NET

So 2 things:
1. Get rid of Norton & replace it w/ MSE
2. Remove all the .NET in the machine & rebuild that. .NET updates will fail when there is a conflict w/ previous .NET installations. You have to remove all the riors & then start w/ .NET 1.1 & work up to the present. It's an ordeal but, will fix things, probably.

For the site's sake, you can copy and paste the last 4 days of the log and attach it as a .txt file.

If you want to sent it to me, that would be OK since I do accept e-mail according to my forum settings and you could send the entire file.

Do not open it in Word, just notepad.

You should receive the log file shortly, I have sent it.

I finished checking your log.

It shows 2 .Net 4 client updates and one .Net 4 security update are failing,as Drew points out. The updates are downloaded, so it does not seem to be that part of the process.

What it also shows is about 14 updates whose install condition cannot be determined. Of those 14, I can only find one I can tie one to a KB number and that is KB2511455, which is a Security update for Windows 7.

WARNING: Failed to evaluate Installable rule, updateId = {0BA9478A-8BD9-4A2A-AF16-7C5AE44769BB}.103, hr = 8007066F

You did get a .Net 3.5.1 update and several others regarding security for IE9 and Security for Windows 7 and Silverlight, etc., so it looks like that part of your updates are working.

I am going to surmise the unknown condition of previous updates might be causing the problems. Not sure about .Net 4, unless it is the same situation.

So, I suppose my suggestion is going to be turn off ALL of Norton (about 8 items) and try the installs and do a complete shutdown after.

If the problem isn't being caused by Norton blocking access to some database, then my next guess would be the database itself is corrupted.

Have you done anything to try to repair the updates so far as renaming or deleting any folders? Did you ever get the Update Readiness Tool to run?

Edit: It also appears a couple of the unidentified updates belong to Microsoft Office. But do not know that for sure.

Last edited:
Good morning Saltgrass,

in answer to your question.

Have you done anything to try to repair the updates so far as renaming or deleting any folders? Did you ever get the Update Readiness Tool to run?

I am sure I have only used it when I initially installed Windows7. As you are aware I have not been able to run it recently.

I will try your suggestion :- turn off ALL of Norton (about 8 items) and try theinstalls and do a complete shutdown after.

What has to be done if the database itself is corrupted?

Thanks

Back