Windows Vista Unable to open a secure website

djones4592

I am have a laptop running vista home premium. I have a creditor that only accepts online bill pay. I go to my account, sign in, type in password, it opens to the summary screen, click pay bill and it returns me to the sign in screen. If I try to look at something new it returns me to the sign in screen. I am only able to view the summary page. I have contacted the creditor and they told me it was something to do with my computer. So I called my daughter and asked her if she could pay the bill. She had no problems at all. She was able to open any link on the site. So it is my computer. I have disabled popup blockers, I have cleared cache, I have deleted temporary files.

I am such a newbie I hope someone can help.

A couple of things to check.
Most secure websites use 128-bit encryption. In order to view https pages, IE must therefore be using 128-bit security. Verify that your browser supports this under Help -> About Internet Explorer and check that Cipher Strength is set to 128-bit.
Next, ensure SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 are enabled in your browser settings. Click Tools -> Internet Options... -> Advanced tab. Find Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 and ensure both are checked.

If this does not give you access to the secure site you want, other things to try are:
Ensure your computer date and time are set correctly
Clear your web browser cache (Tools -> Internet Options... -> Delete Files -> Delete all content).
Add the Secure Site to your list of trusted sites.
Clear the SSL State (Tools -> Internet Options... -> Content tab -> Clear SSL State).

Hopefully one of those might help.

Thanks Superbill,

I have a 356 bit security. Running Windows 7.0 Internet Explorer. Have the SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0 checked. Also cleared the web browser in tools, Delete Files, temporary history, cookies and ssl state.

I also have popup blockers allowed.

Still unable to maneuver in the site. Any other ideas?

Hi,

it 'may' be an active X issue. If you open internet options, security and then click the 'custom level' tab you can scroll down the list until you see the Active X area. If you enable what you can and click prompt where appropriate it may help with your problems. I'll include a screenshot so you know what to look for....

O.K. Here we go again!!

Configure Security settings for the Trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer:

1. In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and select the Security tab
  2. Select Trusted sites, and then click Default Level
  3. Add the secure Web site you are trying to access to the Trusted sites zone. To do so, click Sites, type the address (URL) of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone box, click Add, click OK, and then click Apply
Did you verify that the Date and Time Settings on Your Computer Are Correct??
Because SSL certificates have an expiry date, if the date on your computer isn't correct, it may prevent you from connecting to secure sites. To verify that your computer is configured with the correct date and time settings:

1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options, and then click Date and Time
  4. Select the Date & Time tab
  5. Check to make sure that the date and time settings are configured to use the current date and time, and then click OK
Finally, more of a long shot, try disabling Windows Defender and see what happens or:
Uninstall Windows update KB890830

I tried all of the above and still no success. I was not able to find the window update kb890830 in the list. All the updates I have are in the (KB9******)

Anything else?

I do have one other issue maybe it has something to do with the problem. When I start Windows after user loads I get a error as follows:
windows\system32\spool\drivers\W32X863\lxcttime.dll
is this related? and can it be fixed my laptop is about 2 months old. I am not really a novice on computers, but not an expert by any means.

That error message you get is unlikely to be connected to your problem. It relates to Lexmark Printer Software that I assume you have or had installed on your machine.
Have you tried using another secure site to see if the problem affects all secure sights.???????

I agree with Bill about the error message. If you google the error it comes back pertaining to a lexmark printer..

Why not ask your daughter if she's doing anything slightly different to you?

Thanks for the help with the error message. Yes it was the Lexmark Printer. I reinstalled it and the error message doesn't show up any more.

Back to the website problem. I talked my daughter through it. I also have spoken with the tech support for the creditor. They told me there was nothing wrong with their site. It is something in my computers settings and to try and use a different computer to pay the bill. That is where my daughter got involved.

I pay 90% of my bills online and the other 10% are paid with my financial institutions online bill pay. I am not a novice at this by any means. The tech support was able to open my account. He talked me through the official way to use their bill pay. It is such a user friendly site that there is no way it can be done.

The steps are as follows (and there is no other way to do it):
Open the web page
Sign into the account using the account number and password.
This brings up a account summary of credits and debits along with my name address and phone number. At the top of the page is a link you click to “PAY BILL”.
I click this link and it takes me back to the opening screen where you type in your account number and password.
I again type in my account number and password. This takes me to an option to pay with credit card. I have the credit card information stored in my account. (This is a new creditor and the is only the second bill - when setting up the account I called the account manager because the site kept taking me back to the sign in screen. I was unable to set the account up myself. (FYI – I would just send a check via bill pay but they only accept online payments, or they charge you an outrageous fee - if you can believe, you can’t walk into their office and hand them cash or the charge a fee? – GETTO I know). The account manager for the creditor put all the information in my account for me. That is how it got stored in the account --- --- so I have been having problems with this account from day one).
I again sign in and it takes me back to the account summary.
and so the vicious circle begins. Sign in ...... account summary ...... pay bill ....... sign in ....... verify amount due ....... sign in ....... account summary ... pay bill ..... sign in .... verify amount due ..... sign in .... account summary .... etc.

I told my daughter that she just may have to pay my bill for me every month. Cuz I sincerely can't figure it out. I have tired everything I can think of. You folks are my last resort.

I do not have any problems at all with any other website.

HELP>>>> Such a challenge >>>> RIGHT?

Thanks for the help with the error message. Yes it was the Lexmark Printer. I reinstalled it and the error message doesn't show up any more.

Back to the website problem. I talked my daughter through it. I also have spoken with the tech support for the creditor. They told me there was nothing wrong with their site. It is something in my computers settings and to try and use a different computer to pay the bill. That is where my daughter got involved.

I pay 90% of my bills online and the other 10% are paid with my financial institutions online bill pay. I am not a novice at this by any means. The tech support was able to open my account. He talked me through the official way to use their bill pay. It is such a user friendly site that there is no way it can be done.

The steps are as follows (and there is no other way to do it):
Open the web page
Sign into the account using the account number and password.
This brings up a account summary of credits and debits along with my name address and phone number. At the top of the page is a link you click to “PAY BILLâ€Â￾.
I click this link and it takes me back to the opening screen where you type in your account number and password.
I again type in my account number and password. This takes me to an option to pay with credit card. I have the credit card information stored in my account. (This is a new creditor and the is only the second bill - when setting up the account I called the account manager because the site kept taking me back to the sign in screen. I was unable to set the account up myself. (FYI – I would just send a check via bill pay but they only accept online payments, or they charge you an outrageous fee - if you can believe, you can’t walk into their office and hand them cash or the charge a fee? – GETTO I know). The account manager for the creditor put all the information in my account for me. That is how it got stored in the account --- --- so I have been having problems with this account from day one).
I again sign in and it takes me back to the account summary.
and so the vicious circle begins. Sign in ...... account summary ...... pay bill ....... sign in ....... verify amount due ....... sign in ....... account summary ... pay bill ..... sign in .... verify amount due ..... sign in .... account summary .... etc.

I told my daughter that she just may have to pay my bill for me every month. Cuz I sincerely can't figure it out. I have tired everything I can think of. You folks are my last resort.

I do not have any problems at all with any other website.

HELP>>>> Such a challenge >>>> RIGHT?

I think it might be best to take a step backwards and look at the settings on your machine.
Perhaps you could post some information on what specifications your laptop is i.e. make, model, memory, graphics etc. as well as what version of windows you are running including service packs installed. It might also be helpful to say what anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware you have installed as well as other software you use regularly.
I know this may seem time consuming but sometimes you have to go "back to basics" to find solutions. One thing that baffles me is that you say you can use other secure sites. Have you tried making a purchase on another site?????? If you have and were successful then the fault must be with the website you cannot make payment and not your machine.

I just needed someone else to tell me that it might just be the webiste.

I am a powerseller on Ebay, I buy and sell. I buy from several diffent sites online. I pay credit card and mortgage bills online.

I am going back to the creditor and have them research it futher. I sincerely feel it is their website.

Thanks to both of you for your help. After I go further with the creditor I will post another thread here to let you know what happens.

Again thanks so much for your help

Hi! Maybe this is useful maybe not. I was having trouble getting into my secured account at a company I do business with. I'd code my user password and I'd get a message that the site is down due to cleaning activities. This happened all times of the day or night, my password was correct. When I contacted the company they didn't immediately know what was going on. Eventually they had other complaints- and I was told to contact the webmaster. They said it is something wrong with certain kinds of security software. They have since fixed the problem.

Back