Windows 7 Unable to run IE, FF, and Chrome browsers...

hikerguy

Extraordinary Member
My wife's computer has an issue that just started a week ago that's driving me nuts. The PC has been running Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit) for over a year. She sat down to use her computer and tried to open IE (IE9). When she clicked on it, a window popped up that says "Internet explorer has stopped working". What's more troublesome is that NONE of the browsers on her PC worked (FF, Chrome, IE). They all give similar error messages and refuse to start.

A friend of mine tried all of the following with no luck (the PC rebooted after each of these tasks):

Removed Chrome and FF. No change.
ran Avast
ran Malwareybytes
ran Adaware
ran Microsoft Security Essentials
ran Miscrosof Saftey Scanner and it came up clean.
ran the Malicious Software tool
ran Ace Utilities
ran CCleaner
ran Spybot
ran tdsskiller
Ran scf /scannnow
Started IE with no add-ons.

Only Malwarebytes picked up anything (only 6 items were found, and all were deleted).

Uninstalled Java and Flash and re-installed. No change.
Uninstalled IE and re-installed. No change.

Ran Windows7 repair disk. Nothing detected.
Reset IE to its defaults. No change.

The kicker is that after all of this, I decided to install Opera and Safari and they work!! But the other three browsers still won't work!!!

Also, if I boot into Safe Mode, all browsers work (IE, FF, Chrome).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. No changes were made to her computer prior to this happening. I really want to avoid re-installing Windows 7.

thanks,

Andy

With WIN7 you can do an inplace reinstall that only overwrites the OS and leaves programs and data in place, as always do a full drive backup to protect your data before doing this just in case.
Boot to windows put in the win7 DVD and reinstall.

I will give that a go this weekend (after I've backed up the drive) and post the results here. If that don't do it, I don't know what will.

Andy

You should not have 2 antivirus programs installed together. You have Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast installed. This can give you a BSOD and\or cause many problems including yours. Uninstall one of them and try again.

Also, make sure whatever AV you are using, that it is updated to it's latest virus definitions. Only then do a complete scan.

Tell us how it went.

I only had two AV programs because I had Avast to start with (it's the one I always use), but had installed Microsoft's AV as an additional check. That one has been removed now).

Well, here's my problem now. I tried doing the reinstall, but after it went through a few steps and downloaded the latest updates, it came back with a window that said:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue:

Your current version of Windows is more current than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade.

I'm guessing that the disc I'm using has Windows 7, but her PC is running Win7 with Service Pack 1. Is there anyway to get around this? I'll poke around the Internet, but if anyone has a workaround for, let me know.

thanks,

Andy

If it all works in safe mode, it's simple to fix by finding out what starts with Windows that is preventing the browsers to run... but if you already started re-installing Windows, we can skip this.

Just found out that I have to remove SP1 to do this (since it appears the disk is just Win7 with no service pack). So, I'll give this a go next weekend when my wife is out of town and post the results here.

If you installed SP1 yourself, you can uninstall it. However, if your computer came with SP1 already installed, it can't be uninstalled.

This thing is still kicking my butt. I uninstalled SP1, rebooted, and although the SP1 entry was gone from the list of installed updates, when I right-click Computer and choose Properties, it still shows it running SP1.

I did some Googling and some people said to try installing, then uninstalling SP1 again. So, I went to Microsofts website and downloaded SP1 (making sure it was the service pack specifically for Windows 7 64-bit, and not any of the ones that included debugging. I definitely had the correct one for this computer).

When I try to install it, I keep getting an error message saying "Error: ERROR_NOT_FOUND(0X80070490"

I found one link saying to look through the CBS log (windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log. I did see a lot of failure messages pointing to only KB976932 and KB976902 (the last one seems to be a mystery update from what I've read, and it can't be removed).

I went back in to confirm KB976932 was not in the list of installed updates, and it was not. I then went into the registry and deleted all entries but one for this update. The one I couldn't delete was:

Package_for_KB976932~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.17514

So, any thoughts on a workaround for this? I REALLY don't want to format the drive and re-install Win7.

thanks,

Andy

Yes.... helpifIcan already provided a link (see post #9 above) from which you should be able to download the correct ISO (version and bit), burn the ISO to a DVD and perform the in place upgrade repair. Those ISOs already have Service Pack 1 integrated into them so I would hope that you could avoid any further problems.
Please keep us posted
Regards
Randy

So, any thoughts on a workaround for this? I REALLY don't want to format the drive and re-install Win7.

Like I said, if it works in safe mode, it's just something that's starting with Windows that is causing this problem. When you decide to start checking the things that start with Windows, tell us and we'll help you with that.

I can't catch a break. I was able to grab a copy of Win7 64-bit SP1 from Digital River and tried upgrading from that disk. It went through the whole process and I watched the progress on the screen. The checks it went through were:

Copying Windows Files
Gathering files, settings and programs
Expanding Windows files
Installing features
Transferring files, settings, and programs...

The first four completed fine (and had green checkmarks beside them). However, the last one is where it bombed out.
At the end of that statement is showed (71%), which to me indicated how far it had gotten in that step. The error
message was:

"Not enough disk space. The previous version of Windows will be restored. Try freeing up more space and restart."

Well, I have this disk set up with three partitions. The C: drive showed 80Gb FREE!!! How can this not be enough to do the
pseudo-upgrade (I say pseudo because I selected the Upgrade option, which isn't supposed to wipe out the drive, but instead
re-install Windows).

So, just to eliminate this again, I repartitioned the drive (using a free program called EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition,
which is a very easy to use program if you need to repartition your drive!). I ended up with a C: drive of 200 Gb and a D: drive
of 264 Gb. Should have been plenty, right? Same damn problem, and it again choked at 71% on the last step, so I think something
else is happening here.

Any ideas why it keeps dying like this and telling me I have to free up more space when I have 160Gb free on the C: partition?

Thanks,

Andy

Since you repartitioned, I'll ask... make sure you're C drive is NTFS and not FAT32 where you can get this error.

Of course, if you would completely format and install fresh, you shouldn't get this error but I understand that you don't want to do so?

My wife's computer has an issue that just started a week ago that's driving me nuts. The PC has been running Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit) for over a year. She sat down to use her computer and tried to open IE (IE9). When she clicked on it, a window popped up that says "Internet explorer has stopped working". What's more troublesome is that NONE of the browsers on her PC worked (FF, Chrome, IE). They all give similar error messages and refuse to start.

A friend of mine tried all of the following with no luck (the PC rebooted after each of these tasks):

Removed Chrome and FF. No change.
ran Avast
ran Malwareybytes
ran Adaware
ran Microsoft Security Essentials
ran Miscrosof Saftey Scanner and it came up clean.
ran the Malicious Software tool
ran Ace Utilities
ran CCleaner
ran Spybot
ran tdsskiller
Ran scf /scannnow
Started IE with no add-ons.

Only Malwarebytes picked up anything (only 6 items were found, and all were deleted).

Uninstalled Java and Flash and re-installed. No change.
Uninstalled IE and re-installed. No change.

Ran Windows7 repair disk. Nothing detected.
Reset IE to its defaults. No change.

The kicker is that after all of this, I decided to install Opera and Safari and they work!! But the other three browsers still won't work!!!

Also, if I boot into Safe Mode, all browsers work (IE, FF, Chrome).

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. No changes were made to her computer prior to this happening. I really want to avoid re-installing Windows 7.

thanks,

Andy

I would suggest you to put a fresh install on your computer and keep it secure installing a good and latest version of an antivirus program viz. Avast! pro. Always scan external storage devices as plugged in. Install kaspersky internet security on your computer.

Back