Windows 8 Unable to start Windows Search Process

Rikai

While trying to add folders to the Search Index, I was informed the Windows Search process was not started. When I go to the Services Console and attempt to manually start, I am given the error:

"Windows could not start the Windows Search service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified."

So I opened an command prompt with administrative level access to run sfc and received the following error after it was complete:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios."

The CBS.log file is too large to upload to here or paste into pastebin, so here is a dropbox upload of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7xo6a6ms627tw1/CBS.txt

What other way, aside from a repair install, do I have to fix my missing files and services?

Specs:

Processor: Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Preview with Media Center
Motherboard: Z68A-D3H-83
Installed Physical Memory: 8.00GB

The two file you show as not repaired are the same ones I show and seem to be related to a Canon printer. I would not worry about those.

Did you run the troubleshooter on the Indexing Options page?

In the properties for the Windows Search service, is it set to start Automatic (Delayed Start)? If you check the dependencies tab, it shows RPC needs to be running, is it running or can you start it? If it is not running, you might check the services or drivers it depends on.

Hi

In the meantime if you need a working search engine try, Agent Ransack.
It's what I use in place of the Windows search engine anyway.

It adds a search function to your right click drop down list that will start searching from wherever you click.
It has a lot of search options and is very fast.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack

I didn't download your file, the thought of a .txt file that takes 15Mb kind of put me off. LOL
How many pages does it take to make a .txt file that big?

Of the 3,756 .txt files on my C:\ drive, the largest one is 72 kb.
My CBS log file is in .log format, and is 462 kb.
It took me about 20 seconds to find that out using Agent Ransack.

Anyway good luck, I know I had a really bad time trying to get Windows 8 to run the firewall, for reasons that seemed mystical but turned out to have to do with the way that the permissions were set up.

You could take a look at that.

I had to open another application that was working and copy the permissions set up in services for the one that was working to the firewall setup.

Once they were set the same, it started working, it's possible that your problem could be something like that.

Mike

The two file you show as not repaired are the same ones I show and seem to be related to a Canon printer. I would not worry about those.

I have not installed any printers or anything such as that on my computer.
Did you run the troubleshooter on the Indexing Options page?

I did indeed. That's how I discovered the service was not set to start

In the properties for the Windows Search service, is it set to start Automatic (Delayed Start)? If you check the dependencies tab, it shows RPC needs to be running, is it running or can you start it? If it is not running, you might check the services or drivers it depends on.

It is running. I am able to start and stop it without issue. When Windows Search did not work even after a manual service restart of RCP

Well, I am still looking around. I was thinking if we could re-register the service but I haven't found a .dll file. Maybe there is a way to register the .exe.

In the Programs and Features, Windows Features, see if Windows Search is checked.

Check this link to see if it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484025

Edit: I suppose you could also go to the Indexing Options, Advanced Options, and Rebuild the index, if you have not already.

Last edited:
Saltgrass, your post has given me an idea. It was checked already, but I am going to uncheck, reboot, and recheck to see if that helps fix the issue.

I have tried to rebuild the index already, that's how I discovered it wasn't working.

Could this have something to do with it being 8.1 Evaluation?

Edit: Unfortunately, it seems to have only partially solved the issue. I no longer get the error regarding a missing file. It simply just stays at "Starting" without any other information

Last edited:
Are there any messages in the Event Viewer concerning the situation?

I do not know why 8.1 would be involved, but I also do not know anything about how you have/had it installed.

Did it work prior to you attempting to change the indexing options?

On the indexing options page, there is a line at the top left that refers to how may files were indexed and whether it completed. What does yours show?

Sorry to butt in here, but I am having tha same problem as are many others and I have tried all the suggestions also. The weird thing is that when I check the indexing status on MS Outook 2007 the number of "remaining" items to be indexed is increasing not decreasing. Yet I have all the systems mentioned in this Forum post. It is amazing how much you miss something when it is gone. I have installed Xobni so that I can search my e-mail until this gets resolved.

Back