Windows 7 Unable to start

KC Red Devil

Hi, I recently purchased Windows 7 and tried installing it on my PC but it kept freezing while loading files, so I took my HD and placed it in another PC and Win7 installed fine and works great but when I put my HD back into my PC I get the screen:
Due to a recent hardware change............windows was unable to start.
There are two options Start windows normally or Startup repair. When I start the system repair it doesn't work at all but my HD still works properly on the other PC.
Help please.

When you pop the HD back into your machine make sure the boot order is to boot from CD/DVD then boot up with the 7 disk. When you reach the install screen choose the repair function and hopefully this will cure your problem.

I also noticed the same startup problem with a HD that has Vista could it be a hardware problem?
The problem with installing the OS on one physical machine and then taking that hard drive and putting it into another machine is probably due to extremely disparate hardware, resulting in problems with the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) possibly multicore/singlecore or hyperthreading/no hyperthreading or AMD / Intel, who knows.
You've managed at least thus far to determine that the media is good and evidently the hard drive is good as well, so perhaps assuming that most of the other hardware is basically compatible with Windows 7, how about swapping out the DVD player you are attempting to use to do the install and see if that makes any difference.

Tried that already and I still get the same problem.
I used the Windows 7 upgrade advisor on the PC that's getting the problem and it said it could run it. The PC with the problem has better hardware than the one it works on.

Tried that already and I still get the same problem.
I used the Windows 7 upgrade advisor on the PC that's getting the problem and it said it could run it. The PC with the problem has better hardware than the one it works on.
Have you tried resetting the bios to defaults, just thinking that there might be something there that might be causing the issue

Back