Windows 10 Unexpected BSOD resulted in crash dumps

dgl1952

Hello everyone,

I have recently experienced a large number of BSODs on a Samsung notebook running Windows 10. I cannot specify the cause of the problem, but the most recent one had Firefox as the ONLY "active" window. Tried using WINDBG, but have zero experience. Can anybody help?: -)

I am attaching a minidump file with two latest dumps and appropriate system information in ZIP format as instructed.

Thanks,

Attachments

• W7F_15-02-2018.zip
    1.5 MB · Views: 368
Hi,
unfortunately both dumps had issues resolving symbols even though I have the very latest. Please ensure your settings are like so:
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go

I did a little poking around and two names kept cropping up.

I would have asked you to remove this anyway (we always do with blue screens as AV suites are always possible suspects) and you need to remove Norton AV suite by using their removal tool: Uninstall and Reinstall Norton product using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool
After the reboot cancel the re-install of Norton.

The other driver was the Intel Rapid Storage driver and usually with laptops one downloads the drivers from the manufacturer. I checked for your machines support page but drivers seem scarce.
See if you have better luck:

Your system:
NP900X3L-K06US

Series 9 Notebook NP900X3L | Owner Information & Support | Samsung US

If you cannot find a driver download then you could try the driver straight from Intel:
Downloads for Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Please post any new dump files.

Thanks for the tips. I did the "sfc /scannow" a couple of times over the past week, but I'll try reinstalling Norton and updating the RST driver and then try sfc with dism later today (once I can pry the wife off the computer).

OK... Reinstalled Norton, updated RSH driver, ran "sfc /scannow", ran "dism". (Did the last two TWICE, just to make sure!)

All TENTATIVELY looked good, so I "stressed" the system for about 3 hours. All SEEMED well... But, then, as I was getting ready to give it to her... ANOTHER BSOD!

I've attached it here (and even ran Get-WindowsUpdateLog so you can see the updates installed). Any other thoughts? I DID notice that I had the minidump set to "Kernel memory dump" before... but now it's DEFINITELY "Small memory dump (256KB)".

[I have had trouble with Norton before on other computers and other Windows versions... so much so that I REFUSE to use it on MY systems anymore... unfortunately, this is the wife's computer. Sigh!]

Attachments

• W7F_16-02-2018.zip
    2 MB · Views: 229
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in.  Typically caused by
a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.
'If the error status is 0xC000000E, 0xC000009C, 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185,
it means the disk subsystem has experienced a failure.'
If the error status is 0xC000009A, then it means the request failed because
a filesystem failed to make forward progress.
Arguments:
Arg1: ffff9589402aa6b0, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
Arg2: ffffffff'c000000e, error status (normally i/o status code)'
Arg3: 0000000140553860, current process (virtual address for lock type 3, or PTE)
Arg4: fffff80d37d8c06d, virtual address that could not be in-paged (or PTE contents if arg1 is a PTE address)
Hi,
unfortunately the dump file still isn't resolving symbols properly and i wonder if this is something to do with Samsung, maybe they use their own set of symbols?.. Anyhoo I digress..
You can see from the above, marked in-between the hash marks, that an issue with either the disk or disk sub-system occurred.

Now as you recently installed the Intel Rapid storage manager please uninstall it.

Windows should pop it's own storage driver in which may run better. I've seen similar issues before with this driver and removing it may help.

The hard drive is of an M.2 format and might be worth just checking over with a chkdsk run:
How to Fix Hard Drive Problems with Chkdsk in Windows 7, 8, and 10

Please post any new dump files.

Back