Windows 7 Unidentified network issue on a new laptop

philipt95148

I bought a new MSI laptop with W7 installed a couple of weeks ago. Booted up, connected with my home wireless. wireless printer, set up skype, tested webcam etc....in other words, everything worked flawlessly.

Then over the weekend, I had no wireless connection. When I opened up the wireless box, I can see my network and the status that I am connected to it (automatically) but I can also see a LINKSYS network with a YELLOW ! mark against it.
I cannot connect to it, I cannot delete it/disable it, nothing! I can tell you this Linksys network does not exist. I cannot see it with my 2 other laptops, It seems W7 created it and somehow put an Unidentified Network status against it.
When I opened up the Network and Sharing center, I see a RED parkbench in between my laptop and the Internet.
I cannot even connect the LAN and get through.

I rebooted the modem, wireless router and the laptop but nothing removed this LINKSYS link and the YELLOW !

Now I have a new issue, when I clicked on Change Adapter Setting, I see the LAN with the RED cross, I see Wireless Network Connection with the status "Not connected". I can right click to disable/connect/reconnect/re-enable but it won't change the status to "connected". There is a second wireless network connection with the name "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport" with the same status "not connected".

The crazy thing is this laptop is brand new with W7 installed and worked right out of the box. What is causing this?
Can someone help me please?
thanks

Are there any other wireless devices (not just routers) in the area, maybe next door you might be seeing?

If you open Network Sharing Center, click on Local Area Connection and Details, do the IP addresses look familiar? Can you click on one of the red icons and select repair? Have you tried disconnecting from the network?

What firewall are you running?

Thanks for taking up my issue.
When I first set up this laptop out of the box, I can see everything, my wireless devices and all of my neighbors, just like the two other laptops I have.
Now I see nothing in the network sharing center. The signal bars have a RED cross against it.
Seems like my network adapters are not working but I look at Device managers, it shows it to be working properly.
It is a 802.11gbn 1T1R mini card wireless adapter.

When I plug in the LAN, I get the RED parkbench with Unidentified Network and no internet connection.

It seems my current profile is PUBLIC and not HOME, is this the reason and how do I solve it?

Norton Firewall--maybe try turning it off. I do not know if the Norton is included, but I hear of some real problems with Norton stuff. I have never run it but there is probably a place to put your LAN in as trusted?

Did you check the details to see what IP addresses are being used? The problem solvers in Win 7 seem to work pretty well. You might try the one on the Network sharing center.

Open a administrative command prompt and see if you can ping some things
ping 127.0.0.1
ping (Your router's IP address)
ping Yahoo.com

Does your router do MAC filtering and is your new computer added as an allowed MAC address? Does your Router have a firewall?

Are you using Homegroups?

Last edited:
I am able to connect to the LAN with Norton Firewall off. The connection is shown to be Public network though. Not sure how else it should be since these details don't show up on Win XP. Should it be Home or Private?
Never paid attention to this since everything worked right out of the box,

When I open up Windows Firewall, there is a Yellow shield with a note saying the settings are being managed by Norton Firewall provider.

Linksys is my modem, it does not exist as a wireless signal anywhere, not my neighbors, not my network, somehow W7 or something created it.

The issue remains with the wireless, Network connection shows no network available anywhere.

Problem solver in W7 has never been able to find anything so far. Not sure about Mac filtering on the router and that my new Laptop is included as allowed MAC address but I am assuming here that it was since the laptop worked right out of the box and was able to connect to the wireless on my network.

Public is like going to Starbucks. Private in your own trusted network. There are different security settings for each. If it shows Public and you know it is your own network, maybe you told it that and you might have to change it. Click on the Public network link next to the bench and select Home Network, it you are sure it is yours.

Back