Windows 7 Unidentified Network (No Internet Access)

deathpie

Hi,

My computer had been working fine and while I was watching a movie on my computer the internet randomly gave out (wasn't streaming the movie or using the internet to watch it). Now I can't connect to the internet and it says that the network is Unidentified. I've tried a bunch of fixes such as uninstalling my drivers and letting windows reinstall them, changing my mac address, resetting the router, checked everything was plugged in, disable bonjour, tried releasing my ip and renewing it. I've tried so many things that have popped up on google that I have no idea what else to do. I don't want to reformat my computer if I can avoid it. If anyone has any idea I'd be so happy.

I'm running Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. Other computers on the network are able to connect to the internet and I can access files from other computers on the network.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tallus>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : deathpie
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-71-BC-BE-B0-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9031:1e5e:dcac:6b5d(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 19, 2012 2:56:56 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, February 19, 2012 3:56:56 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 292581820
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-80-26-6C-00-01-29-A4-20-D1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FDC8412C-7396-4BDE-BC20-1EB9DE1645B2}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

C:\Users\Tallus>

Last edited:
It doesn't look like your network is unidentified, but you are showing a Network 2. Are you trying to use the original "Network" connection?

If you open Network and Sharing Center, then select Connect or disconnect, are you given any options for another network?

You also show a lease that expires in an hour. You can change that to a week, or whatever in the DHCP server, which appears to be your router.

The only 2 networks available are Local Area Connection 2 and Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client Connection (this is used to access stuff from my college campus when I'm not on campus). I'm fairly certain that the Cisco client isn't the problem since I've had it forever. As for the lease, how do you change it, and does the rate at which is changes effect my problem or not?

I don't know the lease you effect your situation, but I have heard (don't know for sure) that the system will start trying to renew the lease about half way through the period. You should be able to set that in the router.

Are you showing anything in the Network and Sharing as far as a network? Are there any red Xs or have you run the troubleshooter?

But an unidentified network is usually the system not being able to communicate with the DHCP server. Since you are showing a "normal" type of address, it appears it is communicating. The only thing that looks a little strange, but not necessarily wrong, is the DNS servers you show. I am used to seeing them the same as the Router, but they should work anyway.

If you can see other computers on the network, are you all using the same workgroup?

In the Network and Sharing Center the only red X is on the top where it says My computer --------> unidentified network ----------> Internet, there's an X on the arrow in between network and internet. All the computers on the network are using the same workgroup. When I run the troubleshooter it says to restart the router (which I did) and then when I let it check if it fixed it it then says that "The default gateway is not available not fixed X".

Well I turned my computer off last night and when I woke up this morning it was back to being my home network and I could connect to the internet. Still, it's very strange that this happened and I'm worried it'll happen again.

You may want to compare your IP addresses from when it is working to when it wasn't and see if you notice any differences. But things can get sideways in a system and cause problems temporarily.

One of the first things normally suggested is to reboot everything, from the Broadband modem all the way to the computer. I suppose I should have suggested that first.

Glad it is working.

After it was fixed.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Tallus>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : deathpie
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 70-71-BC-BE-B0-01
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9031:1e5e:dcac:6b5d(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 20, 2012 6:45:47 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, February 20, 2012 12:26:48 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 292581820
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-16-80-26-6C-00-01-29-A4-20-D1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.18.47.61
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{FDC8412C-7396-4BDE-BC20-1EB9DE1645B2}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:18e6:847:bdc2:8b90(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::18e6:847:bdc2:8b90(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\Tallus>

Last edited:
I had already tried rebooting everything and it didn't do anything to fix it. The problem literally just went away when my computer was off overnight.

The only difference in the IPconfig report is the VPN Local Area Connector *9. Was the VPN working/connected on the first run?

I don't know exactly why there are differences, but you might also check the ipconfig when the VPN is connected to see what it looks like.

Edit: Some folks here suggest turning off IPv6 in some cases. It is necessary for running a Homegroup, but not for much else.

Last edited:
In the Network and Sharing Center the only red X is on the top where it says My computer --------> unidentified network ----------> Internet, there's an X on the arrow in between network and internet. All the computers on the network are using the same workgroup. When I run the troubleshooter it says to restart the router (which I did) and then when I let it check if it fixed it it then says that "The default gateway is not available not fixed X".
Take a look at this article The Default Gateway may have been set to 0.0.0.0 on a Windows Vista-based or later OS running Apple
Check your services console by clicking the start orb and typing
services.msc
and hit enter
Scroll as needed and look for either this
##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762## (or something similar)
or this
Bonjour Service
If either or both are present double click them and set the startup type to disabled and click the stop button.
Additionally in many instances VPNs are configured to use the default gateway on the remote network in the properties of the VPN and as a consequence may cause issues with your local area connection. You may want to check that to see if it applies to your current problem.
Regards
Randy

Back