Windows Vista Unknown conflict or other hardware issue?

TKR99

Hi all
I'm trying to help out some friends of mine who're not overly PC savvy & who've run into a problem that I'm equally at a loss to help them with.

I appreciate, before I ask, that it may be equally tough for anyone here to know how to track down the problem, but hope that perhaps the info I provide might help to some degree.

They've a Dell (unsure of model) Vista PC with a Canon printer and scanner permanently attached. They also have an E-Reader intermittently attached. No other hardware other than standard (mouse/kb etc).

The PC is, like many, overfull with a vast array of many different types of programs, some of which are unnecessary.

Their Windows is set up with 2 personal profiles- one for the brother & the other his sister, and the problem originated with the sister's profile.

The problem itself lies in a continual string of Device Connect/Disconnect sounds that starts as soon as she goes into her profile & just never stops. The stranger thing is that if the brother opens up his profile first he gets no noise, but as soon as the sister goes into hers, it begins & then continues when she closes hers & he goes back to his (I didn't think to ascertain whether they were switching users or logging off, but suspect the former).

The sister mentioned she thought that it began around a month ago after she'd opened up a "funny" email from a trusted friend - she didn't click on any links but stated the email didn't appear to have actually originated from the friend as it wasn't in keeping with his style. She couldn't think of anything else that might have provoked it.

I've switched off the particular sound to give them some peace but obviously something is continually provoking it. Anyone any ideas on what the likely cause/s might be??

Thanks

Hello TKR99,

At this point I would first, download and run this;

Link Removed - Invalid URL

If it turns up clean, we'll start looking for a solution.
Also try to get the exact PC model # and if it's x86 or x64, Vista Home, Ultimate, etc:

Don

Last edited:
Thanks for such a speedy reply Don & for your suggestion. I'll do that indeed & come back to you - might take a few days as they don't live close to me & our schedules are a bit busy, but as soon as I get some info I'll return & provide it. Many thanks. Romayne

Thanks for such a speedy reply Don & for your suggestion. I'll do that indeed & come back to you - might take a few days as they don't live close to me & our schedules are a bit busy, but as soon as I get some info I'll return & provide it. Many thanks. Romayne

You're welcome and we'll be here.

Don

Just coming back to progress on this issue if possible. They've now undertaken the VipRE scan and reported no errors/viruses etc were detected so wondering what the next step might be? While I managed to stop the sound from happening apparently there's an icon for hardware being connected/disconnected still flashing at them (prob in the notifications area). I appreciate it's hard fixing things "secondhand" as I'm doing here, but it's easier for me to have the info to pass on to them as I'll understand the instructions better.

First disconnect the printer if it is a USB connected device, a bad interface cable or port may cause similar issues.
Likewise a bad cable or port on a USB keyboard or mouse or wireless radio Tx / Rx device for wireless keyboards and mice.
See if that stops the issue.
Second check the computer by booting into simple safemode (no networking) and load the problem profile and see if the problem persists.
If the problem is not present while in safemode it is likely a program, service or other process that is loading in normal mode that is causing the issue.
Check msconfig and see what shows up under the startup tab and begin there.
You may have to resort to a Clean Boot work through in order to find the actual offender How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
Good luck and keep us posted.
Regards
Randy

Thanks SO much guys - seems it's their scanner that's the culprit. Now that they've finally figured that out at least they're on the path to a final solution. We all truly appreciate your input as I was just too brain dead to think straight in suggesting how to fix the thing, and it would have taken so much longer had I tried to.

Many thanks to all who helped. :)
Romayne

Back
Top Bottom