Windows 7 Unspecified error when trying to install gadgets

alan sh

As it says in the title. I cannot install any new gadgets because I get "unspecified error" when I try it.

Anyone any ideas?

Alan

I think I have solved this.

Yes, it's a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit. But I have the Sidebar from Vista loaded because I want a clean space to show my gadgets (without them intefering with or being lost by other apps). When that is loaded, trying to install new gadgets causes the error above. So, I close off Sidebar, make sure it has exited properly (and isn't still around in the notification area), then load one gadget into the desktop somewhere. This ensures the Windows 7 version of sidebar is loaded. Then I can install gadgets. Then, I close off all gadgets, start up the Vista sidebar and add the gadgets which are installed.

Does that make sense? it seems to work for me.

Alan

I think I have solved this.

Yes, it's a clean install of Windows 7 64 bit. But I have the Sidebar from Vista loaded because I want a clean space to show my gadgets (without them intefering with or being lost by other apps). When that is loaded, trying to install new gadgets causes the error above. So, I close off Sidebar, make sure it has exited properly (and isn't still around in the notification area), then load one gadget into the desktop somewhere. This ensures the Windows 7 version of sidebar is loaded. Then I can install gadgets. Then, I close off all gadgets, start up the Vista sidebar and add the gadgets which are installed.

Does that make sense? it seems to work for me.

Alan
Hey Alan,

I'm wondering what method you used to load the Vista sidebar... is it what's described Link Removed - Not Found? I found the same thing, that I got "Unspecified Error" when I tried to install gadgets on the Vista sidebar... and switching back to the Windows 7 sidebar does fix it. But, it's a real pain to have to rename those files every time I want to switch back and forth, and I got the sense you weren't doing that.

Lend a guy a hand?

Similar. I have the zip file mentioned. I installed that to a new directory and ran the executable from there. That works fine. If I want to install NEW gadgets, I close sidebar and make sure it has executed. Then I right click the desktop and click "Gadgets". that starts up the W7 gadgets and also opens the "add new gadget" window. I can then install as many new ones as I like. Once done, I close off that window and ALL the gadgets which are cluttering up my desktop. Then I restart sidebar from that new directory and can then open the gadgets I have installed.

Does that help?

Alan

Drew,

Thats nice in theory, but as soon as you maximise any window, it's gone. And with the new "shake" stuff and moving windows up etc, it's too easy to do. POlus it means you have to resize every window you want.

In reality, gadgets are set up once and then left alone. Most people I know don't continually mess with them. So, while my method is harder initially, in the long run it is more efficient.

regards

Alan

Keep
It
Simple
Silly :p;)

Can be done w/out any of that & I mean that in the nicest way :) If, just use Gadgets as natural, default of Windows 7, but, stack them on 1 side or the other, size, position windows such that Gadgets are not 'blocked'... might have something over some portion of them momentarily but, you're aware as part of something you are doing... basically they are in permanent view & access. Plus you have a Show Desktop Gadgets Check/Uncheck available to you. Ergo, the 2 together treat the/your 'group' of Gadgets as Vista Sidebar would, acting on all Gadgets simutaneously.

Thanks,
Drew

"A scan a day keeps the nasties away!"
That's the way I use mine. I never maximize windows because I like to see my CPU monitor and clock.

Back