Windows 10 Update stuck and "“Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.”

Hiram

Extraordinary Member
For a few weeks I’ve had a couple of issues, I don’t know if related, with Updates. It may have to do with the October 2020 update v.20H2. [only because I have seen it]

When I go to Start/Power, I get two options: Update and restart, Update and shutdown. When I do either, it starts the update process. … and this is what happens:
  • “Configuring Update for Windows 10” … 100% Complete
  • Restarts and eventually “Working on Updates” … At around 30%, I get the HP logo and the dots circling under
  • Blue Screen: “Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We’ll restart for you.” … For more information visit Troubleshoot blue screen errors ... If you call for support, give them: Stop Code: MEMORY MANAGEMENT
  • The PC restarts, but then gets stuck on the HP logo … I eventually [sometimes after many minutes or many hours] I manually [power button] shutdown.
  • I manually power up and get “Attempting to recover installation” … after a while, I get the Blue Screen again … The PC restarts and gets stuck again.
  • I power off and on. … “Undoing changes to your computer.”, then Welcome Screen and Desktop
This has happened many times. I searched all kinds of help. The Start/Power continues to say: “Update and restart, Update and shutdown”. When I go to Settings/Updates, it continues to say: “Your device is missing important security and quality fixes.”

Please help!

My HP laptop has Home 1909; Build 18363.1533; Installed 10/3/2019
Update error.jpg

Hello Hiram, you are correct this thing is related with the Update. You need to update your device as Microsoft has officially ended the support for the OS Build 18363.1533, Version 1909 on May 11, 2021. That means you wont receive security updates nor the feature update as well. And that is the reason you are getting all these issues along with that message in settings "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes".

Try upgrading your device using the Media Creation Tool.

Hello Hiram, you are correct this thing is related with the Update. You need to update your device as Microsoft has officially ended the support for the OS Build 18363.1533, Version 1909 on May 11, 2021. That means you wont receive security updates nor the feature update as well. And that is the reason you are getting all these issues along with that message in settings "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes".

Try upgrading your device using the Media Creation Tool.
Thanks AsadAlam. I feel better hearing your clear explanation. Can you help me out with the topic of Media Creation Tool??? Thanks, again.

Glad I was able to help you out. Sure

Media Creation Tool in a tool by Microsoft which lets you download the iso for the clean install of windows and also lets you upgrade your pc as well.
Here is the link for it Download Windows 10

Open this link, then click on the option of download tool now, install and run it> Then once open, in it select the option of Upgrade and let it do its work. Since you dont have the latest version, it will take some time to download and install. Once done restart your pc and you are good to go.

Also as a secondary tip, I suggest you to backup all your files and data, so if by chance you loose any of your stuff or your device crashes, you have it somewhere else. And to be on safe side as well.

Do let me know how it goes!

Glad I was able to help you out. Sure

Media Creation Tool in a tool by Microsoft which lets you download the iso for the clean install of windows and also lets you upgrade your pc as well.
Here is the link for it Download Windows 10

Open this link, then click on the option of download tool now, install and run it> Then once open, in it select the option of Upgrade and let it do its work. Since you dont have the latest version, it will take some time to download and install. Once done restart your pc and you are good to go.

Also as a secondary tip, I suggest you to backup all your files and data, so if by chance you loose any of your stuff or your device crashes, you have it somewhere else. And to be on safe side as well.

Do let me know how it goes!
Hey Asad

I updated through the Media Creation Tool. It looked like it was going smoothly [Installing Windows 10...] but once it got to "Working on updates 21%", it went right back to the Blue Screen in my original post. [Bullets 3-6 in my original post] The only difference, is that I got the error screen that I have attached. I'm not a techy, so I'm frustrated. Hope you can help.
Screen Shot 05-19-21 at 12.23 PM.PNG

Dont Worry, I will guide you with the best of my knowledge. I know sometimes tech stuff gets frustrated :)

Run the sfc and dism commands and see if they are of any help to you.
Type in the search box Command Prompt> right click and select RUN AS ADMIN option and open it> then in it write this command first and let it be completed. Write it as shown below:
sfc /scannow
Once done, follow up with this: dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and press enter. Let both of them be completed to 100%

Once done, restart your pc. See if you still face the error. Disable any third party antivirus as well if you have.

If you still face the issue of going to the blue screen, try restarting your device by holding the SHIFT key and keep it pressed until you have options on the screen. If not there, try it one more, you have to keep it pressed as soon as it restarts.

If the options are not coming on startup. then once your pc boots up completely, go into settings> Update and Security> Recovery>Advanced Startup> Restart Now

Once you do that, you will see options. Navigate to this Troubleshoot> Advanced> Startup repair and let it be completed. By doing this, you shouldn't face the issue. By the way How old is your device?

Dont Worry, I will guide you with the best of my knowledge. I know sometimes tech stuff gets frustrated :)

Run the sfc and dism commands and see if they are of any help to you.
Type in the search box Command Prompt> right click and select RUN AS ADMIN option and open it> then in it write this command first and let it be completed. Write it as shown below:
sfc /scannow
Once done, follow up with this: dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and press enter. Let both of them be completed to 100%

Once done, restart your pc. See if you still face the error. Disable any third party antivirus as well if you have.

If you still face the issue of going to the blue screen, try restarting your device by holding the SHIFT key and keep it pressed until you have options on the screen. If not there, try it one more, you have to keep it pressed as soon as it restarts.

If the options are not coming on startup. then once your pc boots up completely, go into settings> Update and Security> Recovery>Advanced Startup> Restart Now

Once you do that, you will see options. Navigate to this Troubleshoot> Advanced> Startup repair and let it be completed. By doing this, you shouldn't face the issue. By the way How old is your device?
Thanks. I'll try as soon as I have a chance. God bless you.

:) Let me know further
Asad ... Thanks for your time and interest :up:

I did all the steps above and nothing changes. The Startup Repair didn't work either. ["Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC."]

In light of the fact that there is no longer support for my version 1909 and that I will not receive feature or security updates, do you suggest a factory reset and clean install? [I presume that this will then enable the 20H2 update to install. Am I right?]

Let me know.

Yes, Since nothing is changing. I suggest you to Clean install Windows. Factory reset will take your pc version to the original one, so clean install is the best option now.. Do let me know if you need guidance on how to do clean install of Windows. I will be happy to guide you.

Yes, Since nothing is changing. I suggest you to Clean install Windows. Factory reset will take your pc version to the original one, so clean install is the best option now.. Do let me know if you need guidance on how to do clean install of Windows. I will be happy to guide you.
I know that there is a feature in settings, but if you'd like to shed light, I'd appreciate it. May God bless you for your help.

Sure. Let me give you a little bit light on this topic

Their are two options present by which you can do that:
First is from the settings> update and security> recovery> reset this pc> then it will take your pc to the date and version when it was brand new installed with windows. All is done by system, while in
Second option of clean installing windows, you are doing all the things manually like

You are downloading windows 10 on a usb, latest version, then booting into bios, installing, and deleting the previous drives and installing windows.

Though I believe both can help you, but I suggest you to clean install Windows manually by yourself, if you can do and have time. It is easy and will take your pc to direct 21h1 version, without it having to update itself later to it if you do it by first method. Also your fear will be gone if you do it this way of installing windows.

Its all on you, decide and let me know
Adios

Sure. Let me give you a little bit light on this topic

Their are two options present by which you can do that:
First is from the settings> update and security> recovery> reset this pc> then it will take your pc to the date and version when it was brand new installed with windows. All is done by system, while in
Second option of clean installing windows, you are doing all the things manually like

You are downloading windows 10 on a usb, latest version, then booting into bios, installing, and deleting the previous drives and installing windows.

Though I believe both can help you, but I suggest you to clean install Windows manually by yourself, if you can do and have time. It is easy and will take your pc to direct 21h1 version, without it having to update itself later to it if you do it by first method. Also your fear will be gone if you do it this way of installing windows.

Its all on you, decide and let me know
Adios
Hi AsadAlam

Sorry for the delay in responding. Yesterday, before this suggestion, I did go ahead with a clean install of Windows. It went very smoothly, installed version 20H2 and other relevant updates. No more strange update messages. I've configured and setup everything I need. I can admit that the laptop is running fast and smooth. I'm very happy.

Once again, I am very grateful for the time you invested in helping me. My laptop is the work horse for my personal life and pastoral ministry. If I'm ever in need of tech help again, I look you up.

Adios y que Dios te bendiga. [I am dual-language! :) ]

Encantado de escuchar eso. Muy feliz por ti.
Espero que podamos ser amigos virtuales :) (I am an intermediate in Spanish language, learning day by day. Hope I expressed it correctly :)

Encantado de escuchar eso. Muy feliz por ti.
Espero que podamos ser amigos virtuales :) (I am an intermediate in Spanish language, learning day by day. Hope I expressed it correctly :)
Perfectly said. :up: Yo también espero mantenernos en comunicación. I'm in Puerto Rico.

Gracias a Dios.:eek: Ohh eso es demasiado, de todos modos estaremos conectados a través de este foro.
Seguirá enviándote mensajes de vez en cuando. Espero que no le importe mi molestia. :)
Buena suerte, mantente a salvo. Por cierto, ¿cómo está la situación del covid allí?
¿Usas instagram?

COVID mejorando. Mantente a salvo. I don't use Instagram. Yes Twitter.

PC continues to run great. Thanks.

QuickBooks Error 15222 occurs when a user tries to download payroll or desktop updates in the software. QuickBooks Error 15222 is uncommon and it may be challenging to solve this error that displays to the user at the time of updating in the QuickBooks desktop window. This error may occur when antispyware, antimalware reads updates or downloadable files as a threat.

Back
Top Bottom