Windows 10 Updates

Rik W

I have three updates for Windows 10 that have all refused to install.
I have used the troubleshooting option, I have run scannow,I have downloaded them from microsoft, I have torn my hair out but nothing seems to work!
The offending items are
KB3201845
KB3206632
KB3213986
help me please!

Run the following command and upload the text file created on the desktop
Get-WindowsUpdateLog -LogPath $env:USERPROFILE\Desktop\windows.txt

Thanks for replying. I have run the command and I get the message "Windows cannot find 'Get Windows update log'.Make sure you have typed the name correctly, then try again'

Yes but I pt it into the Run Applet not the power shell!

Attachments

• windows.txt
    2 MB · Views: 956
The first update failed with "Install already in progress" the other two say they have installed and require a reboot. Have you restarted and they come back as needed updates?

Thw Windows update status tells me that KB3213986 needs a restart,this is not the first time! When I restart it gets to 18% and than restarts and tells me that the updates have not worked and it undoes the changes. I will try this one more time and then get back to you if that's ok?

You may want to try disabling anti virus and if you have any peripheral devices plugged in (cameras, extra drives etc) remove them too.

ok. I restarted and got these messages:

1. Preparing to Configure Windows
  2. Configuring Windows Updates 19%
  3. Restarting
  4. Preparing to configure windows
  5. Configuring windows updates 19%
  6. restarting
  7. We couldn't complete the updates - Undoing Changes

I didn't have anything plugged in but the firewall was on, should I try it again with it turned off?

I tried with firewall off and got the same result. What do I do now - buy a Mac?

Attachments

• windows new.txt
    2 MB · Views: 457
When it is ready to reboot, hold shift and select restart from the start button and continue to hold shift. Then select Safe mode with networking and see if it can complete the update install.

Last edited:
"When it is ready to reboot, hold shift and select restart from the star button and continue to hold shift. Then select Safe mode with networking and see if it can complete the update install."

This does nothing! Still not updating. Should I turn off updates and wait for Windows 11?

Last edited:
the computer is still operational, Rik W… correct? then allow win-10 to continue with it's normal updating procedures. neemobeer has, on occasion, sported the fact that microsoft updates win-10 the second tuesday of each month … think it's known as "patch-tuesday" or similar. anyway … if one of the updates fail, get on with your life. just register the "failed update" somewhere in your subconscious and utilize your computer as is. eventually, the update will install … or it won't install … or it will patch through in another update. it's not end of the world.

however, Rik W … if you still wish to continue investigating (just no more hair-pulling) … try these:
and make sure you read each one … in it's entirety.

edit:
in using technet's query-engine … you might use this as a filter:
win-10+update+KB3201845+failed+

Last edited:
the computer is still operational, Rik W… correct? then allow win-10 to continue with it's normal updating procedures. neemobeer has, on occasion, sported the fact that microsoft updates win-10 the second tuesday of each month … think it's known as "patch-tuesday" or similar. anyway … if one of the updates fail, get on with your life. just register the "failed update" somewhere in your subconscious and utilize your computer as is. eventually, the update will install … or it won't install … or it will patch through in another update. it's not end of the world.

however, Rik W … if you still wish to continue investigating (just no more hair-pulling) … try these:
and make sure you read each one … in it's entirety.

edit:
in using technet's query-engine … you might use this as a filter:
win-10+update+KB3201845+failed+
Thank you for your calming words! You are of course right,life goes on. Just irritating when the computer takes twice a s long to boot up as it should cos it has to go through yet another failed update. Thank you also for the links I will pursue them.

You can try manually clearing the update cache.
  • Press [Windows key + r] type services.msc
  • Stop the following services if they are running Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service
  • Delete the SoftwareDistribution folder located in C:\Windows
  • Restart Windows Update service
  • Re-run Windows Updates

Back
Top Bottom