Windows 7 upgrade win 7 from 32-bit to 64-bit

sabs050

I want to upgrade my 32-bit win 7 to 64-bit win 7. I understand that since it is like an entirely different OS, you need to do a clean install. So does this mean that after buying windows 7 the first time, i need to dish out another $120 just to get a 64-bit version a year later?

I want to upgrade my 32-bit win 7 to 64-bit win 7. I understand that since it is like an entirely different OS, you need to do a clean install. So does this mean that after buying windows 7 the first time, i need to dish out another $120 just to get a 64-bit version a year later?

That depends on where you bought win 7 32bit from. You can at least call MS and see if they will work something out with you.

Ken J

Actually, it is not so much "where" you bought, but "what" you bought. You need to check your license and determine the version of Windows 7 you have. Some "retail" packages contain disks for both 32-bit and 64-bit (but you can legally only install one). If you have one of those, then you can upgrade for free. But most OEM (system builder) licenses and upgrade licenses only come with a 32 or a 64-bit version disk. And Windows 7 "Starter" version (often used with netbooks) only comes in 32-bit.

In any event, I agree with the advice given. Give Microsoft a call and they will help you determine what you have, and your options. But first, before moving to 64-bit, check your hardware makers' websites to make sure they have 64-bit drivers for all your hardware.

Back