Upgrade your router for free: DD-WRT as a firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Networking' started by Mike, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

DD-WRT is a firmware upgrade for routers. It is open source. It was originally designed for Cisco/Linksys routers, but now works on a number of routers. Recently I had some DNS problems, and one of the great benefits of DD-WRT is that it allows you to run your own DNS server off the router itself. It can turn a $50-$100 piece of equipment into a router with $200-$500 worth of features. Some of these features even include the ability to set up your own RADIUS client network and/or "Internet cafe" style wifi with paid advertising. The number of features are pretty insane, and after upgrading my Cisco Certified routers to this firmware, I always notice a major improvement in connection speed and responsiveness.

When dual-band routers (with two wifi antennas) started being sold, there was a compatibility problem with the firmware, but because its developed as open source that was resolved quickly.

The best part of DD-WRT? You can always flash back to the official firmware for your router.

www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router

DD-WRT shows you uptime for your router, the load averages (just like in Linux), and runs primarily on the idea of reliability and performance. You can use DD-WRT to check your bandwidth use by day. You can turn a non-VPN router into being VPN capable. The number of features are impressive.

I have just recently upgraded my newer dual-band gigabit router to DD-WRT. This is the second time I have done so, and with great results. For those who know a bit more about doing firmware updates and configuring a router, this could be a great solution to problems you may be having.

I wonder if anyone here has tried the same? Check it out!

#1 Mike, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
    totoferd likes this.
  2. fjgold

fjgold New Member

DD-WRT is only good with Linux based devices like WRT54G versions 1 thru 4 and the special WRT54GL.
    Versions 5 and up use a proprietary firmware and cannot be upgraded with DD-WRT.

Tomato is another great free firmware upgrade that offers all the features of DD-WRT.
    I presently use Tomato.

Link --------->> Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com

I've used Thibor's HyperWRT in the past but it is no longer supported.

Only Linux based devices can be used be with these open source firmware upgrades.

3. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin

DD-WRT vs. Tomato Usage

It appears a great portion of it is only compatible with Linksys routers that use a Broadcom chipset. The new line-ups work. Linksys WRT610N will work successfully with it. Both version1 and 2, as well as some of the newer WRT routers from Cisco/Linksys. This Tomato looks interesting and I shall check it out as well.

4. Mike

Mike Windows Forum Admin

DD-WRT Screenshots

Explore: Here are some screenshots of just some of the open source firmware functionality that is provided. The improved firmware (whether Tomato or DD-WRT), has the potential to activate new features like wireless hotspots and VPN tunnels.

Attached Files: