Windows 7 Upgrade your router for free: DD-WRT as a firmware upgrade

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
DD-WRT is a firmware upgrade for routers. It is open source. It was originally designed for Cisco/Linksys routers, but now works on a number of routers. Recently I had some DNS problems, and one of the great benefits of DD-WRT is that it allows you to run your own DNS server off the router itself. It can turn a $50-$100 piece of equipment into a router with $200-$500 worth of features. Some of these features even include the ability to set up your own RADIUS client network and/or "Internet cafe" style wifi with paid advertising. The number of features are pretty insane, and after upgrading my Cisco Certified routers to this firmware, I always notice a major improvement in connection speed and responsiveness.

When dual-band routers (with two wifi antennas) started being sold, there was a compatibility problem with the firmware, but because its developed as open source that was resolved quickly.

The best part of DD-WRT? You can always flash back to the official firmware for your router.

DD-WRT is a Linux based alternative OpenSource firmware suitable for a great variety of WLAN routers and embedded systems. The main emphasis lies on providing the easiest possible handling while at the same time supporting a great number of functionalities within the framework of the respective hardware platform used.
Link Removed due to 404 Error

DD-WRT shows you uptime for your router, the load averages (just like in Linux), and runs primarily on the idea of reliability and performance. You can use DD-WRT to check your bandwidth use by day. You can turn a non-VPN router into being VPN capable. The number of features are impressive.

I have just recently upgraded my newer dual-band gigabit router to DD-WRT. This is the second time I have done so, and with great results. For those who know a bit more about doing firmware updates and configuring a router, this could be a great solution to problems you may be having.

I wonder if anyone here has tried the same? Check it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
DD-WRT is only good with Linux based devices like WRT54G versions 1 thru 4 and the special WRT54GL.
Versions 5 and up use a proprietary firmware and cannot be upgraded with DD-WRT.

Tomato is another great free firmware upgrade that offers all the features of DD-WRT.
I presently use Tomato.

Link --------->> Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com

I've used Thibor's HyperWRT in the past but it is no longer supported.

Only Linux based devices can be used be with these open source firmware upgrades.

DD-WRT vs. Tomato Usage

It appears a great portion of it is only compatible with Linksys routers that use a Broadcom chipset. The new line-ups work. Linksys WRT610N will work successfully with it. Both version1 and 2, as well as some of the newer WRT routers from Cisco/Linksys. This Tomato looks interesting and I shall check it out as well.

DD-WRT Screenshots

Explore: Here are some screenshots of just some of the open source firmware functionality that is provided. The improved firmware (whether Tomato or DD-WRT), has the potential to activate new features like wireless hotspots and VPN tunnels.

Attachments

• ddwrt-rout.gif
    ddwrt-rout.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,171
  • ddwrt-bw.gif
    ddwrt-bw.gif
    22 KB · Views: 933
  • ddwrt-wifi.gif
    ddwrt-wifi.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,207
  • ddwrt-hotspot.gif
    ddwrt-hotspot.gif