Upgrading a win7 version

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Installation' started by VsUK, Mar 4, 2011.

1. VsUK

VsUK Senior Member

Hi, i currently have Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit & i want to upgrade it to Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit & i see the upgrade option when i boot from the cd but what i want to know is this, will i lose all my files that is in my user folder, my docs, roaming & desktop or will it just upgrade the OS files only & leave everything intact?

I don't mind doing a full install if it would be better but i really hate having to install everything again & my settings/wallpapers/themes n so on.

Thanks

2. patcooke

patcooke Microsoft MVP
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

The upgrade should not affect any user files but you should always back up any important data before making any major system changes (including upgrades).

3. VsUK

VsUK Senior Member

Yeah i was planning to do a backup, i was just wanting to know if it was better to fresh install if a upgrade was going to remove my settings & files anyways, but thats for that & now i can do my upgrade to ultimate :D

4. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Excellent Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

When going from one Win 7 to another, assuming same bit number, you need to use the Windows Anytime upgrade. It was not designed to be able to install a DVD upgrade version over an installed version.

If you do not want to do any Anytime upgrade, then as long as you have a key, you will probably need to do a clean install.