Windows 7 Upgrading from windows 7 32, to 64 bit.

jeffreynellie

I have installed 32 bit. My computer will handle the 64 bit version, so i wanted to upgrade. When i put the 64 bit disk in the drive, it reads it and shows me the files contained in the disk. If i try to install it tells me that i need to do a custom install. when i try to boot from the disk, it wont identify the disk at all.
any help?

Have you gone into your bios menu... usually f2 or some key at startup... and set your dvd to the first boot priority?
You do know that when you do a custom install EVERYTHING will be deleted from the drive? So you better be backed up to another device.

I have set bios to read cd first, and hard drive second. It will not identify the disk.

If the dvd normally works and reads the disk.. then it won't read the disk from bootup, you have a strange problem. CAn you tell that it's trying to read the disk? Disable EVERYTHING in the bios boot priority except the dvd.

bios

i set the cd to first and second boot, so i disabled hard drive boot. then it says the disk is no good, i tried my 32 bit and my 64 bit disk, neither worked. they are authentic disks. they say upgrade on them. if i open the disk in windows, it is full of data that the computer identifies.

Last edited:
i set the cd to first and second boot, so i disabled hard drive boot. then it says the disk is no good, i tried my 32 bit and my 64 bit disk, neither worked. they are authentic disks. they say upgrade on them. if i open the disk in windows, it is full of data that the computer identifies.

Reset the bios to factory settings and test it.

You may have to get another dvd player. If the disk reads when the system is booted, the disk is ok.

Back