Windows 10 Upgrading from Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1(legit) to Windows 10

spook84

Extraordinary Member
I reserved my copy of Windows 10 back a few weeks ago once I notice there was an option to do so. So it came out yesterday and I have Win10 on my laptop that had Window 8.1 x64 and still not had the option to do so on my desktop that has Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 (legit) any way i can trigger the upgrade or do I have to wait till the a wave send out the upgrade process.

It should be deployed in waves. The upgrade is started from Windows Update. If it shows as available and it fails to update, then you will just need to try it later as Microsoft needs to flip the switch so to speak for you and has not done so yet.

I hit the Reserve button yesterday. Today I had an option on my Windows Update window to start the process. When I clicked on that button, it immediately downloaded the files.

Reserved2.JPG

If you don't want to wait on it, you should be able to "force" it by doing the following:
  1. Go here and download the Media Creation Tool: Windows 10
  2. Run it, and tell it you want to create installation media for another computer (second option)
  3. Create an ISO (not a flash drive—at least, not yet)
  4. Either burn the ISO to a DVD, or copy the contents of the ISO to a flash drive
  5. Run the disc or flash drive from within Windows 7 to perform the upgrade to Windows 10
This worked flawlessly on my laptop (also running Win7). My desktop's having issues...but then, my desktop has a really oddball configuration.

Back