Windows 7 upgrading to Build.7000 from Visa - keep settings?

jw8725

Hi I wish to keep all my programmes and settings but wish to upgrade from Vista to Build.7000 Windows 7.

Am I able to do this with the ISO file currently doing the rounds on torrent sites?

Or is it fresh new install only?

Thank you, I love you all. :p

The file I got was an ISO inside a RAR and I just extracted it to a DVD. The DVD wouldn't autostart so I just executed setup.exe on the dvd.

My Vista was corrupted when I tried to install a wireless driver so i did a clean install of Vista and installed my apps and i had to do updates up to Vista SP1 in order to upgrade to Winodws 7. Well I did an upgrade from Vista Ultimate to build 6801 and then an upgrade to build 7000. What the upgrade does is takes your Vista setup and moves it in to a folder called Windows.old which it uses if it has to do a restore to previous version.

Thanks for the reply my friend, but will I still be able to load up all my applications I have in Vista now on Windows 7? Or are they all saved away in the windows.old folder thing as an archive?

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to do what you are wanting to do. The windows.old folder is the archive where it stores the windows, program files, and users folders. The program files folder will not work because it has been moved and any registry entries that have been made will have to get changed. So no i do not think it is possible. what I suggest is to dual-boot both VISTA and Windows 7 that way if you need to run an application you can always go back to VISTA

It works fine.
Windows.old should only be the windows folder, nothing else.
Everything else should migrate with no user input.

Just make sure you choose "Upgrade".

This is not a forum for software piracy. Please do not discuss Pirate Bay or any other Torrent site in regards to downloading Windows 7. Happy New Year :)

This is not a forum for software piracy. Please do not discuss Pirate Bay or any other Torrent site in regards to downloading Windows 7. Happy New Year :)

That's exactly what I said the other day regarding the whole "torrent client" thread but it didn't seem to make a difference... ;)

Just delete them if you find them, Mike, with an accompanying remark.. We would rather the site was acknowledged by MS and the like - not condemned. I am sure we are all behind you.

Build 7000 over Vista Ultimate

I installed Build 7000 over a working image of Vista Ultimate. Everything went very well for me as far as drivers for devices etc. I think all in all I received 23 updates.

The only that broke is my connecting to an HP Media Smart Server. I get random BSOD while trying to connect to shares. Other than that... 7 installed nice and quickly over Vista Ultimate.

After I got my Windows 7 key from MS I downloaded the Windows 7 torrent rather than use the technet website where I got the key. Are you saying that what I did was piracy???

Back