Windows 7 Upgrading to Final Windows 7...

kdw75

I have the Windows 7 public beta installed and I really am happy with it. No problems so far playing games and doing daily work on it.

When the next beta is released and when the final version is available for sale will I be able to upgrade by installing the new one over my existing beta install or will I have to do a fresh install? The way I read the MS website it sounds like I have to do a clean install when the final version comes out but I can't see any reason for them making you do this.

Keith

If you obtained the beta from Technet or MSDN, you will probably get the full version download from the same source.
If you have downloaded the Public release, there is no way you will get a retail version to upgrade, but, should there be further public releases in beta, then yes.

Well Microsoft is saying they aren't calling this release Beta 1 is because there will be no Beta 2. I remember with Vista some of the releases requiring full installs. They had Beta 1, Beta 2, RCD = Release Candidate and RTM - Release to manufacturing. I can't remember which ones required new installs but i do remember at least 1 did.

I have the Windows 7 public beta installed and I really am happy with it. No problems so far playing games and doing daily work on it.

When the next beta is released and when the final version is available for sale will I be able to upgrade by installing the new one over my existing beta install or will I have to do a fresh install? The way I read the MS website it sounds like I have to do a clean install when the final version comes out but I can't see any reason for them making you do this.

Keith

I can't understand why you would want to do an upgrade over a clean install in the first place?!? I mean common, a clean install takes less time, guarantees a fresh start, doesn't carry on bloat from a previous install and is just an all around better way to install an OS in my opinion.. Especially when going from a Beta release to a full version.. ;)

Aside from having to reinstall all your apps, which really doesn't take that much time.. clean installs are great! If your worried about having to back up all your data, just create a seperate partition to keep all your data on then you don't need to worry about the time consuming task of backing it all up prior to OS installation... ;)

The only reason I hate fresh installs is getting my emails, software and all the little files and preferences back to where they belong. I have 750 Gig. worth of programs and files and it takes several days to manually move all the programs and preferences back so everything is as it was. Upgrading is just sooooo much easier and quicker. :)

Keith

upgrading with a beta version of an operating system is very dangerous. Do not try it if you have sensitive data on your machine. Stop and make an image backup before continuing so if anything goes wrong you can have a backup.

I have backups so I could always go back to where I was. Just didn't see why you wouldn't be able to upgrade from the beta to the full retail version.

Thanks,
Keith

It will be impossible to upgrade to the final from the Beta, as the beta expires on August 1st 2009, and the final won't be out until at least November.

Unless there is a Beta 2 or Release Candidate. also possible: An expiry extension or early release.

It will be impossible to upgrade to the final from the Beta, as the beta expires on August 1st 2009, and the final won't be out until at least November.

I really think they will extend this date. Maybe it is just my eternal optimism though. :)

At the rate everything has been going I really don't think they'll need to extend this date at all.. the RC is due VERY soon ;) and the RTM won't be long after that... As long as everything stays as rock solid and useable as it's been so far that is... :)

I believe Microsoft stated right up front not to use a beta as your main computer's os, as it's for test and marketing purposes only, and was never meant to be a permanent installation. If you installed 750 gigs worth of programs on a beta OS, it's on you. They made it clear that you'd have to do a re-install of another OS after the beta period was over. So I doubt very much you'll get any sympathy from Microsoft.

:)

Very good point djwayne.. :) The number of people who completely ignored that statement wouldn't surprise me in the least either... ;)

As was stated, you'll be better off with a fresh install anyway. I tried installing W7 over a fresh install of Vista, and had nothing but problems. A fresh install is much, much better.

expires 2010

I thought it didnt expire until 2010, thats what others are saying? by that time someone will come up with an update, were you can just upgrade I'm sure.

The 7000 beta build that Microsoft released to the public, expires sometime around August in 2009. Any other version you might have has different expiration dates, but those aren't official releases, and not to be used as permanent installations. These are all test versions, not the final product. When the final product does comes out you will have to do a complete fresh install. That's why I'm hoping for an early release date, so I can have a permanent system, and quit messing around with test versions.

:)

Back