Windows 7 upgrading to win7 questions

person135

I have vista64 on a laptop and I plan on upgrading to win7 64. I plan on doing a clean installation. If I use a DVD to install it, do I have to do anything to the BIOS or do I just have to have the DVD in the DVD drive when the laptop starts?

Also, what about drivers? WIll the same drivers that came with my vista64 laptop work on win7? Do I have to manually install the drivers myself once win7 installs or does it install all the drivers for me automatically? My laptop has a fingerprint scanner, so will these drivers as well as other noncustomary drivers be automatically installed as well?

Is a clean win7 installation better than a easy upgrade from vista to win7? I read an article that said a clean installation resulted in a faster system and that an easy upgrade from vista to win7 did not have any of the speed improvements that win7 brings.

thanks

I have vista64 on a laptop and I plan on upgrading to win7 64. I plan on doing a clean installation. If I use a DVD to install it, do I have to do anything to the BIOS or do I just have to have the DVD in the DVD drive when the laptop starts?

Also, what about drivers? WIll the same drivers that came with my vista64 laptop work on win7? Do I have to manually install the drivers myself once win7 installs or does it install all the drivers for me automatically? My laptop has a fingerprint scanner, so will these drivers as well as other noncustomary drivers be automatically installed as well?

Is a clean win7 installation better than a easy upgrade from vista to win7? I read an article that said a clean installation resulted in a faster system and that an easy upgrade from vista to win7 did not have any of the speed improvements that win7 brings.

thanks

Check your BIOS Boot order and make sure that your CD/DVD is before your HD
Most Vista Drivers will work but WIN7 should come what most of the drivers you need
You will only need to worry about those that yield a "driver not found" during installation or a yellow exclamation mark in Device Mgr
IMHO a clean install is best and a couple of Vista Upgrade installations have bombed for me:razz:

wow you answered all my questions in one post lol. that's hard to find on forums these days lol.

so what do I do about the drivers that it doesnt install?

Also, does just install generic drivers or does it install the best drivers there are?

If you do get something that won't install post back and we'll see if we can help..)

Back