Windows 7 Upgrading to windows 7.

Mysteryman2000

Right now I have a dimension 4600, and am wondering if it would be good to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to know if overall performance will make it slower/Faster and all that good stuff.

Specs:
Computer: Dell Dimension 4600
Graphics: Radeon 4650 AGP
CPU: Pentium IV 3.4 GHZ processor
Sound: Inetegrated
Current OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
RAM: 3GB of RAM

Just because the Manufacturer doesn't support a Windows 7 install, doesn't necessarily mean that you can't run Windows 7 on the hardware mentioned by the OP. Will it be as fast as XP on the same hardware? Not likely. Will it run Windows 7, certainly will, as a matter of fact I have a very similar computer P4 with HT, 3gigs of Ram with and Nvidia AGP 8x card and it seems to be doing ok with Windows 7.
But given the hardware noted, I suspect that Windows XP will generally if not always be much faster.
As a matter of fact I have an old HP zv5000 running Windows 8 Developers Preview. Is it fast? Actually not too bad, considering. Will it run it? Sure.

Right now I have a dimension 4600, and am wondering if it would be good to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium. I want to know if overall performance will make it slower/Faster and all that good stuff.

Specs:
Computer: Dell Dimension 4600
Graphics: Radeon 4650 AGP
CPU: Pentium IV 3.4 GHZ processor
Sound: Inetegrated
Current OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3
RAM: 3GB of RAM

CPU isn't the greatest but it'll run 7 just fine, video chipset is supported as it's the same as my laptop. Machine also has plenty of ram so that won't be a problem. I think what dell are saying is it's not certified to run 7 but it'll run it just fine anyway.

I just wanted to know, I am getting a free copy of it; and since I can't use DirectX 10 on XP, that maybe installing Windows 7 will give me a little more leverage for playing some of my more graphically intense games. I forgot totally to add in that I am running on a 32-bit and am also going to upgrade the ram again to maybe 4 gigs.

Fair enough... I think my concern is that there can often on an XP based platform (older) PC* be driver issues if one tries to run 7 on that same machine. I will admit this can be a great obstacle w/ HPs than Dells. I have, also, change PCs from XP to 7 but, used the & Upgrade Compatibility Tool to 1st investigate rather than check the manufacturer's web site. Indeed, the 4600 is not on Dell's list of Dimension models that they say will support 7. On the other hand it is true that it can be surprising, almost amazing what hardware 7 will run on, regardless of how well. It's know to run on, say, old P3s w/ as little as 256 to 512 RAM. IF 7 can find all the driver's it needs, well than... enjoy.

* A Vista machine to 7, the platform isn't in a completely different family, so to speak. XP to 7, that is not the case... hence why Upgrades from XP to 7 are not possible but, Upgrades from Vista to 7 are. But, if as a custom Install, it finds all it's drivers then, cool.

Cheers,
Drew

Well I guess the good news I heard would be from the Dell Tech, from what they know it is compatible. The other thing I may have forgot to mention was that I would be moving from Windows XP Service Pack 3 32-bit, to the Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium. So I will actually be able to put up to 8 GB of RAM instead of the limited 4GB. So the specs of the computer when updated to windows 7 will be:

System: Dimension 4600
Processor: 3.4 Ghz Pentium IV
RAM: Up to 8GB
Video Card: Radeon HD 4650 AGP
Sound: Still integrated

And from what the tech said any drivers I need should be on the site. What does everyone think about the setup will it run pretty fast or will it still be kind of slow with the Windows 7 64-bit, because I don't have a Windows XP 64-bit to upgrade ram.

You should expect it to be quite quick... unlikely it would be "kinda slow", even @ 3Gig RAM. The processor is fairly robust & 7 w/ anything from 1Gig up moves along nicely....so it should be happy w/ 3. If & when you go to 4, @ least the x64 will see & use all of it.

Knowing you can access all drivers, performance should be fine & certainly very resonable. As I suggested before, 7 is really not very resource demanding.

Cheers,
Drew

Back